Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier Performance A/C does not turn on

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

To keep the story short, I live in the North, so frosty winters, but at times hot summers. Had my A/C replaced with a Carrier Performance 15 in March attached to a Carrier Infinity Furnace while it was still cold. I'm already not thrilled with the installer (hence replacement).

When we attempted to test the unit after the install it would not turn on. They claimed it was due to a saftey switch in the unit that it would not switch on if the ambient outdoor temperature was too low. I've finally had a mild day 20C (70C) according to The Weather Network. I turned the termostat to cold - fan "ON" and waited over 5 minutes and no response from the AC (though the fan in the Furnace turns to high).

I've checked everywhere and unfortunately user manuals on the Carrier AC are limited. Can anyone else confirm this protocol on the AC - or is my installer even crazier then I thought?

canadianguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Check if the disconnect outside at the AC is on. Also some installers won't hook up the low voltage wires at the condensor when it's installed during cold weather. Keeps the unit from being turned on, and since it was cold out when they installed it, they couldn't 'properly set the system.' I'd contact the installer.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

Depends on how your installer set up the unit. He may have installed a low ambient switch in the outdoor portion of the unit that will not it allow to run untill the temp where the switch is located reaches 55 F (14 C). I know you said the weather network stated 20, but was it really 20 inside the A/C unit. Perhaps it doesn't have an ambient switch on it at all, but it is common practice in Canada to install one to ensure someone doesn't try and run the A/C during Christmas dinner in 3 feet of snow.

Did you by chance purchase the infinity controller with your new infinity system? If so, you may be able to access information directly from your controller as to why the A/C won't work. I believe that the performance series comunicates with the infinity controller, if you went that route.

I also believe that the performance series has a set of indicator lights behind the cover of the electrrical compartment on your outdoor unit. Remove the 5/16 screws in the corner panel above where the lines hook up and you will see a little control board inside which will indicate your problem.

Sorry you didn't have luck with your installer. I have been putting in Carrier stuff for over 20 years and have found there product line to be as good as anyone elses, and better than most. Any Carrier dealer can do service on your equipment, and it will have warranty for a quite a while, so perhaps you could look for a different Carrrier dealer if the relationship with your installer went south.
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,318

20C in the Sun = 5-8C inside the cabinet. Probably the low ambiant control is still off.