Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #1

Share |

Carrier Model 58MVP inducer motor

I have now been without a furnace 10 days and counting!! I am getting an inducer motor failed to come up to speed. The inducer motor (variable speed) was replaced, did not fix the problem. The control board was replaced, no luck. The wiring harness is back ordered. I removed the harness and it looks good. The inducer motor doesn't even try and start. There is 120V at the motor. I now have all the original parts back in the furnace and the repairman I hired has pretty much given up.The furnace was purchased in 2002. Any suggestions!!!!

The new inducer motor was tested at the Carrier dealer and it checked out good.

deanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #2

You should call the local branch of Carrier and get a referral to a company that has installed a number of your type furnace. The one you have is very complex and in some cases needs expert service.

Sorry I can't help. Maybe one of the other guys can shed a little light on it.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I have someone calling back on Monday. Is there anything I should ask to make sure they know how to work on Carrier furnaces? The repairman I had working on it said they could, but it was obvious they quickly ran out of options. At least they cancelled the bill and didn't charge me.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #4

Wish I knew more about that model, but I don't.

Sorry.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

You might want to make sure the company is a Carrier dealer.
In some areas. Companies don't spend money on sending their techs to training classes for brands they don't handle.

There is a proper way to test that motor, and the guy you had doesn't know it.

Since testing it the wrong way, can damage it and the controller, I won't go into it.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
You might want to make sure the company is a Carrier dealer.
In some areas. Companies don't spend money on sending their techs to training classes for brands they don't handle.

There is a proper way to test that motor, and the guy you had doesn't know it.

Since testing it the wrong way, can damage it and the controller, I won't go into it.
Still frustrated but warm. After calling a CERTIFIED Carrier dealer and replacing the wiring harness, then the control board again, tried the inducer motor, (even though it "checked out good"), it took right off. So Kudos to all saying it had to be the motor. Just shows a brand new part can be bad and what some companies put out as systems they work on does not mean they are qualified to do so.
Thanks for the help!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #7

The 58MVP has a control board that you can put into test mode. On the main blower side of the cabinet is an access panel that covers the control board. On the inside of the furnace unit cover panel (the big one that you remove to get at the furnace insides) you'll see a chart that shows the switch settings on the control board. One of the switches, SW-6, puts the control board into test mode. Unpower the unit, set the switch for test mode, and then power the unit back up.

The furnace will sequentially test each function, being inducer blower, main blower, etc. If any test fails, then an error code will be flashed on the control board LEDs. The sequence will tell you the error code number. On the inside of the furnace panel is a table that lists each error code and what it means. You need to perform this test procedure to find out exactly what is failing in the furnace startup procedure.

Be sure to return SW-6 to the original position when you are done testing, and through inside the blower side, and before you put the cover back on.

Note: There is a safety disconnect switch under the edge of the access cover. Tape it down (always on) while the lid is off of the control board section. Remove tape when you are done in there.

Here is the service manual for this unit 58MVP: http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr.../58mvp-6sm.pdf

k

Last edited by keith20mm; 10-28-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Add URL info
keith20mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #8

I am an hvac technician and I currently work for a Carrier factory authorized dealer which is who you should have look at it if my 2 easy fixes don't work, first thing you should try is there is a small white box that your furnaces condensation collects in either under the furnace if your furnace is horizontally installed or mounted to the side if it is vertically installed, remove the hoses and fill the white box with water leave it full and reinstall it an d reattach the hoses then try to run the furnace. The only other fix I can say is if you take the small door that is (held in by 5 or 6 brass colored 1/4 inch hex screws) take that small silver door off and try to run the furnace with it off. Basically what I'm saying is all of your expensive parts are fine there is a minor issue with not enough restriction for your inducer to pull against to activate the pressure switch properly which in turn selects the rpm of your variable speed inducer motor. Give it a try if not call the closest carrier factory authorized dealer, most if us go to training classes which are taught by carrier engineers.

Let me know if it works
Uncle alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle alf View Post
I am an hvac technician and I currently work for a Carrier factory authorized dealer which is who you should have look at it if my 2 easy fixes don't work, first thing you should try is there is a small white box that your furnaces condensation collects in either under the furnace if your furnace is horizontally installed or mounted to the side if it is vertically installed, remove the hoses and fill the white box with water leave it full and reinstall it an d reattach the hoses then try to run the furnace. The only other fix I can say is if you take the small door that is (held in by 5 or 6 brass colored 1/4 inch hex screws) take that small silver door off and try to run the furnace with it off. Basically what I'm saying is all of your expensive parts are fine there is a minor issue with not enough restriction for your inducer to pull against to activate the pressure switch properly which in turn selects the rpm of your variable speed inducer motor. Give it a try if not call the closest carrier factory authorized dealer, most if us go to training classes which are taught by carrier engineers.

Let me know if it works
That is a good post you shared with the OP. Too bad it's 2-3 weeks old.
Sure the guy got it resolved by now.

But riddle me this:On a Carrier and ICP 90% drains, how are you supposed to take those white plastic drain traps off to clean them with out breaking
them?????
Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #10

or the 2 wires? to ground will tell you if youll get shocked thats it, across the 2 wires if theres 120v and its a 120v motor, take an amp draw and see if its trying to run at all? if no amp draw with correct power than its bad! ohm the motor for continuity too se if its open electrically! fashion a cord from a old lamp and wire it up direct to test it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanray View Post
I have now been without a furnace 10 days and counting!! I am getting an inducer motor failed to come up to speed. The inducer motor (variable speed) was replaced, did not fix the problem. The control board was replaced, no luck. The wiring harness is back ordered. I removed the harness and it looks good. The inducer motor doesn't even try and start. There is 120V at the motor. I now have all the original parts back in the furnace and the repairman I hired has pretty much given up.The furnace was purchased in 2002. Any suggestions!!!!

The new inducer motor was tested at the Carrier dealer and it checked out good.
Blaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

He got it taken care of 2 years ago.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
He got it taken care of 2 years ago.
Whats a few years between friends?