Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #1

Share |

Carrier Infinity and Thermostat Replacement

I have had a Carrier Infinity Hydro Air Heating and Cooling System since 2006. I am happy with it but have now joined a Smart Energy program and the utility wants to replace the Infinity Thermostats with a Tendril 218 thermostat. This communicates with the other equipment in the home and will allow remote control.

Can I swap out my Inifinty thermostats, or will I lose functionality of the system if i do this.

upsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
HVAC Tech/Owner

Carrier Infinity and Thermostat Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
I have had a Carrier Infinity Hydro Air Heating and Cooling System since 2006. I am happy with it but have now joined a Smart Energy program and the utility wants to replace the Infinity Thermostats with a Tendril 218 thermostat. This communicates with the other equipment in the home and will allow remote control.

Can I swap out my Inifinty thermostats, or will I lose functionality of the system if i do this.

No, infinity thermostats are unique communicating only with infinity indoor unit. They can be wired with a standard themostat but you lose all the benefits of having an infinity. 2006, I do not think they had the capability yet to interface with utility co's demand limiters.

Technow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carrier, inifinity, smart energy, tendril