Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #1

Share |

Carrier infinity 96

I'm hoping someone can help. We just had a repairman here.

The furnace will not start. It's 2 years old. I tried following the instructions to reset it, but it does not work, it seem to go try and start, then it shuts off and I get a message on the led 42. When I look that up, it says it could be a venting issue, or the inducer fan. The repair guy is saying the inducer fan is the issue because it's not engaging at all. The concern I have is, when we bought the place 5 months ago, the building inspector said our venting was a bit suspect. He thought there were too many turns and that at the end of the pipe (leading outside), the piping was on a 45 degree angle upward and that might create condensation build up. The other possible cause shown on the furnace for a 42 error code is ventalation. So, two questions :

1. Could I be replacing an inducer fan when really I have a ventalation problem? Would the ventalation problem prevent the inducer fan from starting?
2. How muc should an inducer fan be? This guy seemed pretty shady and he said it could be $300-$700. BTW, he also told me it would be $60 to come check it out, then tried to see it was $140 after spending 20 minutes here. I told him to get out. I will call his office and pay the $60

thanks in advance for any help, were cold!

Darcy

darcys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Carrier infinity 96

call for 2nd opinion. By the way the price he gave you sounds pretty cheap to me.

Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Carrier infinity 96

Do you hear water inside the housing or pvc pipe
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Carrier infinity 96

That unit should have at least 5 or maybe 10 yrs warranty on parts. Did you call the installer? It is a VERY expensive complicated unit to troubleshoot and fix and ideally done by a skilled Carrier tech. Code 42 could be a venting problem but once again you need a skilled Carrier tech to check the venting and make sure it follows Carriers specs.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #5

Carrier infinity 96

thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. A couple of things :

1. Got a second guy in today, he says the fan is toast for sure. He says the warranty will cover the parts no problem.

2. He definitely thinks there is a problem with part of the line (sloped the wrong way). He thinks he can cut out part of the line below an elbow, shift the angle and make it work.

I get that the price the other guy gave me was cheap i.e. the $59, hell even the $138 was not unreasonable (that was just about what the guy charged today). That was not the point for me, it was the ethical issue. Don't tell me it's one price, then more than double it, then tell me to quit making a big deal about it, in my house of all places..............not cool. I like the guy today, I trust him more. The other guy didn't even look at the venting, he would have replaced the motor and been on his merry way.

The second guy is not sure (not sure I will quote him accurately here) but he says the venting could have been causing the fan to run more than it should have, or more frequently nad contributed ot the burn out?

thanks again for hte input everyone, much appreciated.

Darcy
Old 02-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Carrier infinity 96

That would be a cheap price for that inducer, by a company.

It could be that your venting problem killed the inducer. A good in working order inducer will start even if the vent is 100% clogged. So your poor venting isn't keeping it from running. But may have killed it.

And yes, it should have a 10 year part warranty.

PS: He may have said it was 60 dollars to come out. But not check it out. many company's have a service fee. And its just to come to the door, not to do anything.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Carrier infinity 96

The venting probably caused the motor to overload, that is an ECM motor and won't tolerate BAD venting as it has to maintain a preprogrammed speed. Get the venting done properly or burn out more motors. That unit is $800-$1000 retail.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #8

Carrier infinity 96

Guys

just to finish off. The second company I had come in has replaced the inducer, identified one section of venting that was at the wrong angle and fixed it (cut a piece out of another section to change the angle).

they got the inducer covered under warranty and the total cost was $130. they have earned my business permanently.

Those of you that think the other guy was reasonable for wanting $140 for basically showing up and diagnosing the problem...............well, I think the results speak for themselves. I paid the first company the $60 as agreed, but I wish I would have called the second guys first.

First experience on the site, very helpful. thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Darcy