Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #1

Share |

carrier infinity 50Xt packaged heat pump with infinity thermostat

We have a brand new infinity 50xt 15 seer packaged heat pump, with infinity thermostat, installed less than 60 days ago. Problem is that system will kick on in smart recovery mode like it is supposed to 90 minutes prior to the set time, however the temperature never gets to the set temperature. It says it is on "auxiliary heat" (temperature 26 degrees outside), the red LED is pulsing. Even over 4-6 hour period temperature might raise 1-2 degrees inside, and the air coming from the vent is barely warm. We do like to decrease the temperature at night a couple of degrees while we are sleeping to save energy, but this is defeating the purpose if the system continuously runs and does not increase the temperature. The The system will stay on all day during the day and never shut off. Installer has been out 5 times at least, goes through his checks and the system checks out fine supposedly. Seems like there is some miscommunication between the thermostat and the system saying it is on auxiliary heat when it is not, obviously since cool air comes out of vents. System is also very noisy during defrost cycle, wakes us up at night. Anyone have any ideas about any of this???

mguillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #2

What is the actual temperature at the register inside the house, using a temperature gage.

pbservano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #3

The installer came out the very first time and checked all the temperatures at the registers and the furnace and they all checked out fine, though I do not remember the exact readings he got. But that day the temperature was in the 40's and this problem seems to get worse the colder it is outside. Just this morning I heard the system kick on at 4:30 am. It is set at 62 at night and at 6am to get to 66 during the day. I heard it, went and checked the thermostat, it was 22 outside temp, 62 in the house, auxiliary heat on, cool air from the register. Three hours later at 7:30, NO CHANGE in indoor temp, still 62 and the system continued to run until finally at 12;30 it reached 66. Does not sound right!!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

How big is your house.
What size heat pump is it.
How much aux heat do you have.
May not be enough to recover quick.
Also may not be enough to heat your house when it gets colder out.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #5

We have a 2,200 square ft. home. The size of the unit is 5 tons with 60,000BTU. Not sure how I would determine how much auxiliary heat I have?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #6

Heat Pump is less efficient during low ambient temperature. Try setting it at least 2 degrees difference. I. E. 64F at night and 66 F during daytime. The recovery rate of four deegres is making your heat pump runs continuosly.

The reason why I needed the actual air register outlet temp. is to ensure your heat pump is operating properly. I still need the actual temp at the register.....

Last edited by pbservano; 12-07-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Did they list it on the invoice, or contract when they made their sales call.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #8

Thanks for all your help. On the original "job start up and completion form", the temperature at "supply" was 72, and the temperature at "return" was 90, back on october 2. I am in KY, it was warm that day.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguillen View Post
Thanks for all your help. On the original "job start up and completion form", the temperature at "supply" was 72, and the temperature at "return" was 90, back on october 2. I am in KY, it was warm that day.
Do you mean 72F return and 92F supply. This is usually I get if the ambient temperature outside the outdoor coil is below 35F. Your sytem is operating normally. Try setting the setback to 68F while asleep and 70 during daytime. maintain a 2F differential. Also, with regard to your auxilliary not providing heat. Some technician will have the circuit breaker @ your outdoor unit on the "OFF" position. You can check that by opening the service panel of the outdoor coil. This done to prevent the auxilliary heat from coming on during low ambient temp., to save on electric bill. I had mine off last two winter but I installed an external thermostat to activate my aux, heat at ambient temp. below 20F.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:55 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Some areas of KY have very warm weather in late Sept, and into the middle of Oct.
So they may have had to run the unit in cooling instead of heating.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #11

Thanks, I will check on circuit breaker outside. I also found out that the noise from the defrost cycle that wakes us up at night (loud "moose call" or moaning sound) may be due to a reversing valve that needs replaced. Seems many people have had this problem since 2003.....
Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #12

62 degrees is a pretty low setback temp for a heat pump in 22 degree weather, especially if it turns out you dont have a very high wattage heat strip but I guess you first need to verify that the heat strip is indeed turned on.

I try not to turn mine any lower than 66 at night and I have a lockout stat set to 25 degrees but where we live, it rarely drops below 30.

You Might also want to verify if the contractor even installed an aux heat kit in your unit.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #13

I am just now having the identical pkg unit installed. Wiring has been redone by the techs. As well, my heat strips were not properly wired yet the infinity thermostat showed they were on. My story is yet unfinished so- i will hopefully have something helpful to add in the next few days/months.