DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Carrier Hot Surface Ignitor (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/carrier-hot-surface-ignitor-163461/)

Electric Guru 11-15-2012 07:07 PM

Carrier Hot Surface Ignitor
 
I was working on a 90 Plus Propane gas furnace, The original complaint was that the blower motor was running constantly, but no heat. The induction motor was not running and I ordered a new board for it and stilll no induction motor. I diconnected the high limit switch and now the blower motor and the induction motor comes on but the hot surface ignitor never gets hot. I have checked line voltage at the male/female connector and their is no voltage present. Question # 1 Why does the blower run constant and Question #2 Why does the hot surface ignitor not get hot..... I have also made sure the t stat is set to auto and not on.... Thanks in advance cause this is driving me crazy.....:eek:

Technow 11-15-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric Guru (Post 1053046)
I was working on a 90 Plus Propane gas furnace, The original complaint was that the blower motor was running constantly, but no heat. The induction motor was not running and I ordered a new board for it and stilll no induction motor. I diconnected the high limit switch and now the blower motor and the induction motor comes on but the hot surface ignitor never gets hot. I have checked line voltage at the male/female connector and their is no voltage present. Question # 1 Why does the blower run constant and Question #2 Why does the hot surface ignitor not get hot..... I have also made sure the t stat is set to auto and not on.... Thanks in advance cause this is driving me crazy.....:eek:

guess your not an electric guru:thumbsup:

hvac5646 11-15-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technow (Post 1053066)
guess your not an electric guru:thumbsup:

heheh...

Electric Guru 11-15-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technow (Post 1053066)
guess your not an electric guru:thumbsup:

And I guess you're not an Air Conditoner Tech either:jester:, Since you couldnt answer the question.. I'll wait for someone with more experience to answer my question since you clearly lack the knowledge and you are not matured enough to talk to.:no::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbup::clap::party:: scooter: Good job Scooter,,,, LMFAO@ YOU

hvac5646 11-15-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric Guru (Post 1053081)
And I guess you're not an Air Conditoner Tech either:jester:, Since you couldnt answer the question.. I'll wait for someone with more experience to answer my question since you clearly lack the knowledge and you are not matured enough to talk to.:no::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbup::clap::party:: scooter: Good job Scooter,,,, LMFAO@ YOU

I think Technow is right.

He knows the answer, as do I , but maybe you're getting in over your head?

LP is even more hazardous a than NG.

Can you tell me what the sequence of operation is? Might be helpful.

Technow 11-15-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric Guru (Post 1053081)
And I guess you're not an Air Conditoner Tech either:jester:, Since you couldnt answer the question.. I'll wait for someone with more experience to answer my question since you clearly lack the knowledge and you are not matured enough to talk to.:no::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbup::clap::party:: scooter: Good job Scooter,,,, LMFAO@ YOU


Do you have voltage where it needs to be? Did you have voltage to the original motor? From the board you replaced?????:whistling2:

Technow 11-15-2012 08:07 PM

LMFAO at you too. I am in a warm house....:laughing:

hvac5646 11-15-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technow (Post 1053089)
LMFAO at you too. I am in a warm house....:laughing:

LOL...the most famous come-back in HVAC history.

yuri 11-15-2012 08:16 PM

Okay, I feel a bit sorry for him and will help. You have the limit switch disconnected so what do you think it does? It turns off the burner when the furnace gets too hot. Check if you are getting 24 volts from G to C on the board. If you are then the fan will run all the time and the tstat may be faulty or you got a short. Try do some research into furnace sequence of operation instead of parts changing and your life will get easier.:yes:

If the wiring diagram is there on the back of the door carefully study it and see where the limit switch is. Uusally the induction motor won't run if the limit is open but some of the older units where wired differently and it may be in series with the gas valve and igniter. Patience my friend will get you there.

ben's plumbing 11-15-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric Guru (Post 1053046)
I was working on a 90 Plus Propane gas furnace, The original complaint was that the blower motor was running constantly, but no heat. The induction motor was not running and I ordered a new board for it and stilll no induction motor. I diconnected the high limit switch and now the blower motor and the induction motor comes on but the hot surface ignitor never gets hot. I have checked line voltage at the male/female connector and their is no voltage present. Question # 1 Why does the blower run constant and Question #2 Why does the hot surface ignitor not get hot..... I have also made sure the t stat is set to auto and not on.... Thanks in advance cause this is driving me crazy.....:eek:

hey guy don't take it personal...but havc is not as easy as some may think..unless you are trained...and i mean a trained tech with book and on the job training while you may be a good electrician service on hvac equiptment takes more...sorry for the guys razzing you but we all can see the problem ....follow yuri post..get that furnace going...and stick to wiring Iam sure you do it better....ben sr

hvac5646 11-15-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuri (Post 1053098)
Okay, I feel a bit sorry for him and will help. You have the limit switch disconnected so what do you think it does? It turns off the burner when the furnace gets too hot. Check if you are getting 24 volts from G to C on the board. If you are then the fan will run all the time and the tstat may be faulty or you got a short. Try do some research into furnace sequence of operation instead of parts changing and your life will get easier.:yes:

If the wiring diagram is there on the back of the door carefully study it and see where the limit switch is. Uusally the induction motor won't run if the limit is open but some of the older units where wired differently and it may be in series with the gas valve and igniter. Patience my friend will get you there.

Yuri, you are such a softy...just hope this guy does not blow up the house.

Electric Guru 11-15-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuri (Post 1053098)
Okay, I feel a bit sorry for him and will help. You have the limit switch disconnected so what do you think it does? It turns off the burner when the furnace gets too hot. Check if you are getting 24 volts from G to C on the board. If you are then the fan will run all the time and the tstat may be faulty or you got a short. Try do some research into furnace sequence of operation instead of parts changing and your life will get easier.:yes:

If the wiring diagram is there on the back of the door carefully study it and see where the limit switch is. Uusally the induction motor won't run if the limit is open but some of the older units where wired differently and it may be in series with the gas valve and igniter. Patience my friend will get you there.

Thankyou Yuri, As a matter of fact I've been doing HVAC/R since 2005 and I Have a Universal EPA License, So I'm not gonna blow a :censored: house up.
I have checked, both the limit switch/rollout switch and the High Limit for the fan. and both of them Ohmed out. And yes to the other Jack Wagon's on here I know the start the sequence of operations. What really crazy is its been about two years since I have been on this site and nobody gave me a hard time, my how times have changed. Mostly people on here would give all kinds of good Ideas, not negative statement. Once again Thankyou Yuri. As a matter of fact I remember your username and I believed you have answered alot of my questions in the past. I went under a different username back then though.

Electric Guru 11-15-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technow (Post 1053089)
LMFAO at you too. I am in a warm house....:laughing:

I'm in a warm house too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was trying to fix the furnace for a good friend of mine.

hvac5646 11-16-2012 12:06 AM

[quote=Electric Guru;1053214]
I have checked, both the limit switch/rollout switch and the High Limit for the fan. and both of them Ohmed out. end quote
:eek::eek::whistling2:

mrairflow 11-16-2012 06:29 AM

just wave that universal EPA card at it and it will fix it :laughing:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.