DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Carrier Heatpump

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  marriedmanw 
#1 ·
Have a Carrier heatpump that isn't running in heating or cooling mode. Took old thermostat down off wall and not getting power to thermostat. Tried to jump return (R) to fan (G) and nothing came on. Looked in the air handler and found a blown 5A fuse on the board, so replaced the fuse and verified I had power at the thermostat. Cut on the heat and it immediatly blew the fuse. Went to the store and bought a new thermostat and 5A fuses and replaced the thermostat, but the fuse will still blow when running in heat or cool mode. Unit will run in E. Heat mode so I'm guessing there is short in wiring from air handler to compressor. I left the new thermostat mounted since I was going to replace old mercury thermostat anyway. I checked the wiring from the air handler to the compressor and didn't see any breaks in the wiring. I verified I'm getting 240V at disconnect at the compressor.

Anything else I can look at before calling in contractor? Luckly we have fireplaces, so no heat for one night isn't problem.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.