Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #1

Share |

Carrier furnace problem. Pilot lights, no burner

Ok, I'm not an HVAC guy... I'm the son of a plumber who hasn't done a whole lot of furnace repairs. But I figured, what the heck, can't be too difficult.... And now here I am.... stumped.

I am working on a Carrier furnace Model #376baw048075 that has not worked for some time. (New owners to building, previous owners did not remember how long ago they had used furnace.) So far I have changed out the spark ignitor/pilot assy, the spark module (the black box with the little "nail" looking thing that the ignitor wire connects to) and the valve. I have replaced the original valve (an Essex sx345nsx-12) with a carrier valce #ef32cw233. Now when i turn the t-stat on, the pilot lights for a few seconds, then the valve "clicks" and the pilot goes out. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps I wired it wrong? The original wiring to the essex valve was as follows..
1. white wire
2. blue wire
3. blue wire
4. brown wire (smaller spade)
5. green wire
Now before you ask, I don't know what the white wire goes to, or the blue wires, or any of them... figured the instructions would tell me where the wires go...

Looking at the wiring schematic for the new vave, I wired it this way:

1. white wire
2. both blue wires
3. brown wire (since this terminal has a smaller spade adapter on it)
4. green wire

The directions on this valve say, "1 Main Coil, 2 Common, 3 Pilot (redundant) coil, 4 Hold Coil (pressure switch)"

I have no idea what the the different coils are... Is there some sort of diagram or pic that I would be able to trace what wires are supposed to go the correct terminal? I'm just wondering if I just have the brown and green wires backwards...

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #2

Carrier furnace problem. Pilot lights, no burner

Is there some type of a flame sensor? There should be...something to tell the valve that the pilot gas has lit and it's okay to open the main gas valve. I too am not a furnace guy...but my Trane furnace has a seperate flame sensor it's just a metal rod with a ceramic sleeve around it. it sticks out into the flame above one of the burners...you could have something like that or it could be part of a pilot asby

CFSpit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carrier, essex, furnace, problem, valve