Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier Furnace Problem...

Hello everyone. New member here, seems like a great forum.
I have a Carrier High Efficiency furnace - Infinity WeatherMaker Model 58MVP. A while back we had our furnace konk out on us. I had it diagnosed by a friend who works for a heating/a.c company. Long story short, we had some power surges that fried the main circuit board? and the blower motor. We had both replaced.

What happens now is as follows. The burners fire on...nice blue flames...but the blower won't kick in. When the burners are on there is a green light that stays on. Then there is a loud click, and the burners distinguish and the furnace winds down. It does this maybe 2-3 times before the blower will kick in to blow the hot air up. So the house is still warm, but it definitely seems as though something is still up. My manual says that a green light is "furnace is operating in low heat". That seems backwards to me. It seems to me that with the burners on and the blower not kicking in, it is shutting the furnce down because it is too hot.

I set the thermostat to "fan on" which seems to stop the loud clicking. I think that is because the air is constantly moving up. Anyone have any insight to what may be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Edit: the "fan on" mode isn't stopping the clicking problem. Also there are no fault codes (lights) being thrown.

Last edited by cornation71; 12-07-2009 at 05:49 PM.
cornation71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Either flame sensor is going bad or your burners are dirty

Livewire78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

You may have the wrong motor module for your motor. Have seen this before. Carrier makes 3 motor modules, they are designed for different hp ecm motors. I would have this checked for the proper module. Not sure what the clicks are unless its relays switching to shut the furnace down when the limit opens. Will be ok to run the fan in the continuous mode to get you some heat.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Burners are clean, and i'm going to check out the flame sensor tonight.

When you are talking about the motor module, are you talking about the circuit board thing? (i'm not well versed in HVAC).

I forgot to mention that a few months ago i came down to the furnace area and noticed water on the floor. I found where the water was coming from. It looked like a condensor and the water wasn't draining down the overflow tube, so i cleared that all up. But the issue i'm having now was happening right after the original repairs i had done.
cornation71 is offline   Reply With Quote