Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Carrier Furnace LED Code 34 and 14

My Carrier furnace started doing something strange yesterday. Wouldn't come on at all so I turned it off (power / gas) and when I turned it on again it worked fine but quit late in the night. This morning I ran through the same sequence and it worked for awhile and then quit again.

The blower comes on, the flames light up but then the flames go out after about 10 seconds. Blower runs its cycle and then quits. LED code goes from 33 to 34 and then, I think to 14 - Ignition Lockout.

Do I have to call a furnace guy or do you have something far less expensive that I, a complete novice, can try?

Thanks a lot - it's supposed to snow here today so anything you can help with would be great! Sherri in Calgary!

sherjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #2

You can try removing the flame sensor(in front of the far left burner) and cleaning it with fine sandpaper or steel wool.

HvacWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #3

I'll give that a try if it stops again. Two days of powering off and on to get heat and now it's worked for over two days as normal (and the temp is about -10 Celsius today so thank goodness!).
Old 03-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #4

Cleaning the flame rod is definitely your first step. This should be done on an annual basis anyhow as part of good preventative maintenance procedures. Anyhow, I run a heating and A/C company in Calgary...call me at 226-6066 if you need any further help or need me to look at it.
Thanks, Sean
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #5

Excellent Sean - thanks! We've been lucky in that it seems to be working fine this entire past week. I've sent your number to my home email address and we'll give you a call this summer to do some preventative maintenance. We also have an old furnace in the garage that is going to need either repairs or replacing (it's strange - the pilot light's been on for a year but we can't turn the knob to the position where we can get heat). Thanks again! Sherri
Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #6

No problem...look forward to meeting you.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #7

Sean:

Thanks for the excellent advice regarding cleaning the the flame detector as ID'd by these codes. I stumbled accross your post in this site looking for a translation of these codes.

The fine folks at the Carrier factory decided that it would be a good idea to slap EVERY single piece of the important safety and LED code translations UPSIDE DOWN on the face of the furnace and it is impossible to read.

You'd think that there would have been some mention of the importance of cleaning of this sensor annually, in some predominant location on the front of the heater. What is it made of?

Thanks again,

Chuck
ccoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Some type of steel. Some furnaces are multiposition, can be used horizontal or upside down (counterflow) so the sticker is meant for upflows which are 90% of the market.
Attached Images

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #9

Thanks fir the picture, Yuri. Perfect. This unit IS upflow and the stickers are on upaide down!!! Careless ignorance @ Carrier is what I call it. Appreciate your help.

Chuck
Old 10-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
Still Learning

lol thats what you get for using carrier. Shame on you.
thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #11

So gents:

If I simply lightly sand this rod, say w/some 400 wet or dry emory paper, this should clear the problem of the LED 34's and 14's codes? Seems like this thing is awful sensitive if it has to be sanded/cleaned every year. I also noticed that when the unit did try and fire up, only the right burner set (as you look into the front of the firebox) was firing. Shouldn't both burner sets be firing? This unit is only 2 years old...

Im gonna do this this evening.

Chuck
Old 10-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

Post the model #. Is it a high or mid efficiency unit. The problem is not the flame sensor if the burners are not firing up properly. The flame is not hitting it and it is not sensing a flame. I have worked on lots of Carriers and know some hidden scenarios for your problem. Is it using Natural gas or Propane/LP? Did you install it yourself?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #13

Hi Yuri:

This is a Carrier Comfort 80. Nat. gas. LED codes are as I referenced before. Thank you kindly for your assistance.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

Back in 1/2 hr, supper time.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #15

If the burners are not firing all the way across then the flame sensor is not your problem, it is doing its job by locking out the furnace. You will need to remove burners, clean them, check orfices to make sure they are not plugged and check the gas pressure on the inlet and outlet of the gas valve.

HvacWiz is offline   Reply With Quote