Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
funnycar finatic

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Carrier furnace help code 13

Hello I have a model 58 MCA. I changed the filter on it as I always do to start the cold season and my furnace wont start. the big blower kicks on then it cycles to the exhaust blower and the little red led starts flashing code 13. I have 2 furnaces in my house they are both the same and I use the same air filters in both. Also I had this problem last year but was able to get the furnace running. I just powered the furnace down and it started last year. But I cant get the furnace going this year. any help would be appreciated thank you.

mudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
funnycar finatic

well It seams I might have made a mistake not sure but I have to go home and recheak the led light it might be a code 31 instead so If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it .thanks

Old 10-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #3

Hi Mudtruck,

To determine if it is code 13 or 31. The first digit is the number of short flashes, the second digit is the number of long flashes.

13 is limit circuit lockout, in which case your furnace would try and restart after 3 hours. The limit circuit is there to protect the furnace from overheating if there is insufficient airflow through the heat exchanger taking the heat away from the furnace and pushing it into your ductwork. If this is the code then look for plugged air filters, blocked discharge vents, etc.

31 is the pressure switch didn't close or reopened. This pressure switch is in your furnace to monitor the combustion fan motor to prove you have positive exhaust gas pressure out your exhaust vent and through your combustion chamber. This could be triggered due to plugged intake and/or exhaust piping, defective exhaust blower fan, excessive wind, plugged tubing on the pressure switch, etc. These pressure switches are very sensitive, do not take the hoses off and blow into the switch or you will damage it. I have also seen where an improper grade on the furnace will cause this fault. It should have a slope of about an 1/8 th of an inch from the back to the front of the unit, if not you may build up condensate in the secondary heat exchanger and not get enough flow through the ventor motor.

both of these conditions can be reset by turning off the power to your furnace and then turning it back on. The furnace will then go through its normal start up procedure.

Have a look at your vents outside and make sure that there haven't been any birds taking up residence in your vent pipes, also check your condensate drain ine to make sure it isn't plugged.

good luck, if in doubt get it checked out by a pro, this isn't a trade you want to mess with if you aren't comfortable with it.
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #4

Not too often I register to say thanks. Woke up at 5am Saturday to let the dogs out. Thermostat reads 63. What!? Take off thermostat, try redoing program, turn off circuit breaker to furnace, nothing working. I shudder at what this is going to cost, especially on a weekend.
Take off the front panel of my furnace (carrier) and take a look around. Notice blinking LED. 1 long, 3 short...code 31 according to what I could find on the internet. Search on Carrier code 31 in google and run across this page. I check everything and it looks like a snowball is in my outdoor vent. It's under my deck with a downward facing elbow joint, so maybe I need to look for footprints in the morning and talk to the neighbor kids.
Clear the snowball out and go flip the breaker back on. HEAT!
Thank you for having this forum.
-Pengu1n
pengu1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
funnycar finatic

Just wanted to say thanks to HVACDave I replaced the pressure switch and It now works beautifully saved me a lot of money. And thanks for this forum I love it.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #6

Hi HVACDave,

I read your post and wanted to ask for your help. I have a Carrier 58 RAV, restarted it, tripped all the limit swithcs, sanded the flame sensor, and then noticed a LED is flashing three short and one long, indicating a code 31 i learned from your post, but looking at an online manual,
http://www.esmithair.com/support/Car...as_Furnace.pdf
I couldn't find a pressure switch. is it in the control valve?

The pros in my area is overwhelmed with new construction work, and told me 6 to 12 weeks to get out to my place, which is out of town a long way.

I am very comfortable with plumbing and wiring.

I hate to bother you with this, but it is still cold some nights here in Colorado.

Thanks in advance

Fojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACDave View Post
Hi Mudtruck,

To determine if it is code 13 or 31. The first digit is the number of short flashes, the second digit is the number of long flashes.

13 is limit circuit lockout, in which case your furnace would try and restart after 3 hours. The limit circuit is there to protect the furnace from overheating if there is insufficient airflow through the heat exchanger taking the heat away from the furnace and pushing it into your ductwork. If this is the code then look for plugged air filters, blocked discharge vents, etc.

31 is the pressure switch didn't close or reopened. This pressure switch is in your furnace to monitor the combustion fan motor to prove you have positive exhaust gas pressure out your exhaust vent and through your combustion chamber. This could be triggered due to plugged intake and/or exhaust piping, defective exhaust blower fan, excessive wind, plugged tubing on the pressure switch, etc. These pressure switches are very sensitive, do not take the hoses off and blow into the switch or you will damage it. I have also seen where an improper grade on the furnace will cause this fault. It should have a slope of about an 1/8 th of an inch from the back to the front of the unit, if not you may build up condensate in the secondary heat exchanger and not get enough flow through the ventor motor.

both of these conditions can be reset by turning off the power to your furnace and then turning it back on. The furnace will then go through its normal start up procedure.

Have a look at your vents outside and make sure that there haven't been any birds taking up residence in your vent pipes, also check your condensate drain ine to make sure it isn't plugged.

good luck, if in doubt get it checked out by a pro, this isn't a trade you want to mess with if you aren't comfortable with it.
fauxjaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #7

I am having an issue with the same type of furnace. My LED light is staying on after the recycle. Not sure what it is.
vicmata01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #8

Steady on light means no faults
HVACTECH96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #9

I have a carrier58pav111-12 i have a solid red led no flashing at this time, any one have a suggestion
KITZ70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITZ70 View Post
I have a carrier58pav111-12 i have a solid red led no flashing at this time, any one have a suggestion
no flashing lights indicate operation normal NO CALL FOR HEAT. indicates low battery if digital, heat anticipate issue if manual thermostat. or stat wire issue.
Baiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengu1n View Post
Not too often I register to say thanks. Woke up at 5am Saturday to let the dogs out. Thermostat reads 63. What!? Take off thermostat, try redoing program, turn off circuit breaker to furnace, nothing working. I shudder at what this is going to cost, especially on a weekend.
Take off the front panel of my furnace (carrier) and take a look around. Notice blinking LED. 1 long, 3 short...code 31 according to what I could find on the internet. Search on Carrier code 31 in google and run across this page. I check everything and it looks like a snowball is in my outdoor vent. It's under my deck with a downward facing elbow joint, so maybe I need to look for footprints in the morning and talk to the neighbor kids.
Clear the snowball out and go flip the breaker back on. HEAT!
Thank you for having this forum.
-Pengu1n
More than once on a high efficient model Ive seen the units create its own snowball by twirling the snow around. and stuff itself in. there very well could be no kid doing it. but an act of mother nature.

Baiter is offline   Reply With Quote