Carrier Furnace Help - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier furnace help

hi. i have a carrier 58stx070 furnace. code 24 came up. changed the fuse. it works. cycles through 2 cycles then fuse will blow again. bypassed the thermostat and furnace will run more fine more than 2 cycles. don't know what's wrong with. thermostat is only one year old. don't think it's the thermostat. any suggestions. thanks.

Advertisement

kitlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Carrier furnace help

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxjaux View Post
Hi HVACDave,

I read your post and wanted to ask for your help. I have a Carrier 58 RAV, restarted it, tripped all the limit swithcs, sanded the flame sensor, and then noticed a LED is flashing three short and one long, indicating a code 31 i learned from your post, but looking at an online manual,
http://www.esmithair.com/support/Car...as_Furnace.pdf
I couldn't find a pressure switch. is it in the control valve?

The pros in my area is overwhelmed with new construction work, and told me 6 to 12 weeks to get out to my place, which is out of town a long way.

I am very comfortable with plumbing and wiring.

I hate to bother you with this, but it is still cold some nights here in Colorado.

Thanks in advance

Fojo

similar to this one.

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Carrier furnace help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitlun View Post
hi. i have a carrier 58stx070 furnace. code 24 came up. changed the fuse. it works. cycles through 2 cycles then fuse will blow again. bypassed the thermostat and furnace will run more fine more than 2 cycles. don't know what's wrong with. thermostat is only one year old. don't think it's the thermostat. any suggestions. thanks.
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...L/1009275L.pdf

24.) secondary voltage fuse open.

A low voltage wire somewhere is touching metal, blowing the fuse. If this is happening in a/c call I'd check out at the condenser first. Is it happening only in a/c call or only in heat? Both? Physically inspect all visible thermostat wires from there to inside the furnace. It could be as simple as a wire nut fell off or it could be a knick in a wire or if at the condenser (again, in cooling mode) a bad contactor.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Carrier furnace help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruck View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to HVACDave I replaced the pressure switch and It now works beautifully saved me a lot of money. And thanks for this forum I love it.
i am glad you got it running, but be cautious....i am a 30 year veteran of this trade 29 of those years i spent in service. In those 29 years I have replaced very few pressure switches that just "failed". either they were damaged by water (condensate) or the ill informed home owner sucked or blew into them and blew them out. i suspect that your issue will re-occur within 24 hours, i hope i am wrong just be for-warned.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote