Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

carrier furnace error 31 I think

Tried to fire up the furnace today to check to make sure it is working. I put the heat on and I heard nothing. So I went to the garage and thought the pilot light might be out so I went looking for it. Upon reading, there is no pilot light and it is automatically lit when turning on.

So, there was no light so I turned the knob for the gas on and off and waited. I tried it again. But I guess there is some switch on the cover that needs to be set when closing the door so nothing happened until I put the cover back on.

The fans came on for a couple minutes but no heat, no light, no pilot, no flames. The led red light was on for a while but I think it was reading 31, three short flashes and one long.

I read something about pressure, I have no filter in the return and I did put some chlorine down the pvc pipe that runs to the outside.

Any other ideas before I have to call a service man?

Thanks!

chumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 38

Check the vent pipes outside for blockage. Post the model #.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #3

Thanks, I vacuumed out the line outside and could smell the chlorine I put in the inside line so it is clear.

Model number is 58pav090-16.

Tried again and same thing code 12 after reset, runs for 90 seconds and then shuts off. No pilot or flame.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Does the big black inducer fan run. Try turn it manually. Are you sure it is a code 31. Count the flashes very carefully, they can be confusing on those units.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #5

If you are talking about the black circle that is about 3-4 inches above the light blue gas valve on the inside of the top unit, it does not spin. But it does spin when you spin it manually.

The air does blow and it blows cold. I re-read it and it is 13 or 31, three short flashes and a long flash. Could it be that I don't have a filter in? I forgot to buy one when I threw the old one out.

THanks
Old 11-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

This is a mid efficiency furnace correct? Has a metal pipe from the top of the furnace going to a chimney? The fan above the gas valve is a ventor fan and pushes the smoke to the chimney. On the right lower side of it is a small switch with a manual reset button. Try press it. Remove the pipe from the top of the furnace and check for a dead bird inside, no joke it happens, will cause that switch to trip.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #7

I think so, it is a model carrier 58pav. It has a vent (large tube about 5-6 inches in diameter made of galvanized steel) going upwards towards my roof. I live in florida so it is not a chimney just a pipe going up. I will check out the pipe on the roof tomorrow when it is light out.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 11-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Remove it directly where it attaches to the furnace and look inside.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #9

Thanks for all your help, but I have been away. I guess it has been a blessing in disguise considering how cold it has been. My furnace is still not working.

Here is what I have done. I bypassed the pressure switch (I am assuming it is the switch that is to the right of the round black plastic knob). I put a paperclip in both ends, and restarted the heat. The systems runs for about 90 seconds or so, but nothing else seems to happen. No heat, no black thing turning, It sounds just the same from start to finish.

I have a pic of the system from my camera, but don't see how I upload it.

I also removed the pipe at the furnace and there was some wasps nests inside, I cleaned them out. The pipe is still not attached. I reset the system with the rocker switch on the lower panel, and now the systems runs and runs. It ran for about 5 minutes but nothing else happened. It did not fire up the heat or flames. Just runs. Could it not be getting a heat demand? If so, how do I tell?

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks,

Tim
Old 01-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #10

Tim, first thing is hook the flue back up. Second is get rid of the paper clip and buy yourself a multimeter. The system will not run if the pressure switch circuit is closed before the inducer is supposed to run. Tape the door switch down so you can check things without going through the 90 second start up every time. With the thermostat set on heat and above the room temp check between C and W on the board. If the thermostat works there will be 24 volts. Next the little motor in the upper half should come on and close the pressure switch. If the same motor doesn't run then see if the circuit board is giving it 120 volts. If not you have a bad board, if so you have a bad or stuck inducer. If the motor runs you next check that the pressure switch is closed and check limits and roll out switches. After that you check the hot surface ignitor.

BTW if it has been cold enough to freeze the pipes with no heat for days turn off the water. Frozen pipes don't leak but once you get the heat working they will thaw and can make a heck of a mess.
Holy cow! I just notice it hasn't been a few days with no heat but a month and a half!

Last edited by Marty S.; 01-14-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote