Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Share |

Carrier Error code 34 with more

Hello, I read through the earlier posts on the Error code 34. I've cleaned out the condensation trap, and also cleaned the flame rod. The furnace, Carrier Weather maker 9200 11 years old, has the following symptoms:
The thermastat calls for heat, Inducer motor starts, hear the click and the ignitor is red and the flames start. But then the flame goes out. It first started this a week ago, but it would get most of the way through the heat cycle before the flame went out, now it's happening right away. The thermastat is still asking for heat the whole time. I finally called out a PRO. After testing a bunch of things, he found the pressure coming out of the gas valve when the furnace asked for heat was only registering .8. He adjusted it up to 3.5 since it's supposed to be between 3.2 to 3.8, but he was worried why it was that low. He felt the valve may be going out. The furnace ran fine for a couple days, now the same thing is happening. Will the valves go out like this where they won't open enough? Or do you have any other suggestions before I ask him to replace the valve? Thanks.

Last edited by totallylost; 12-08-2010 at 02:28 PM.
totallylost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

VERY rarely do they lose pressure and need adjusting. Yours is dying and unsafe, get a new one.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #3

thanks Yuri, Will do.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #4

Well, the gas valve was replaced a couple days ago, and this morning it started with all the same symptoms/problems again.
Any ideas?
Could there be an inadaquate amount of charge going to the valve to where it won't open the diaphram enough? Or? It's not all the time, so it's tough to figure out.
thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
HVAC / Plumbing

Sounds like a flame sensing problem..make sure you have a good ground & check microamps at the flame sensor
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Your gas meter and or its pressure regulator may be failing. Had one develop an intermittent problem like that a yr ago and it took me several visits B4 I could catch it in action. Call the gas supplier and NICELY explain the problem to them. They may want to blame the furnace but if you nicely explain that the valve has been changed etc they may come and replace the meter and regulator for free. Yell at them and they will blow you off.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #7

Thankyou. And will check.
I have a gas range and gas fireplace insert, both are running fine. Could the gas main still have an issue, because the range and insert don't use as much?
thanks, it's so hit and miss when it works/not works, it drives you crazy.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

10-4. They use very little compared to the furnace which will require the regulator to open the internal valve wider and allow more flow.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #9

ok, the people who replaced the gas control valve in the furnace were out to look, since that did not fix the problem. Now their diagnosis is the air inlet duct is too small. It's a 2 inch PVC pipe that runs about 8 feet to outside. He claims that needs to be 3 inches. I pointed out to him the point where it connects to the inducer is 2 inches, so it'll still go down to 2, but a shorter run. He has left off the burner box cover for now to help get oxygen in. Since this is a hit and miss problem(but it was 100% bad today for him to work with), I was going to let the cover be off a couple days before I put a 3 inch pipe. He's thinking the inducer may be getting tired to where it won't pull the air through the 2 inch.
Any thoughts? thanks.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

If it ran for 11 yrs with 2" pipe it should be okay. I have worked on hundreds of those units and they don't mind 2" pipe unless they are the huge over 120,000 BTU units. They usually require a minimum of 15 feet of pipe anyway. All furnaces that use 3" venting restrict down to 2" at the furnace and that is not a problem. It is actually dangerous to run it with that door off as the gas valve won't modulate properly with it off and may overfire. What is the complete model # and I will lookup the vent size 4U. There is a inlet screen inside the black plastic box where the intake pipe attaches (on some models, not all)and it sometimes gets plugged with leaves/debris. Should not cause an intermittent problem though. Did you call your gas co and talk to them about their meter and regulator?

Last edited by yuri; 12-20-2010 at 06:20 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #11

Hi yuri, the model is 5mxa060-12, serial 14499a00187. It has 10 feet total of straight pipe with 3 90 degree elbows and 2 45 degree turns in the 2 inch inlet air tube. The exhaust has 9 feet straight pipe with 3 90 degree elbows. The 2 pipes end openings are only 4 inches apart from each other. I found the installation manual, score, that the previous owners left looks like the 2 inch pipe is fine, plus the book says to use the same size pipe on both inlet and outlet, so this goes against what the guy was saying. I see the book also says the ends should be at least 12 inches apart from each other.
I put the cover back on while the flame was on, and it definitely seems to choke out the air. I took the pipe off the furnace where the inlet is, and yes there is a metal disk in there, but there was no obstructions. I am going to call the gas company and nicely discuss with them what's going on. Have you ever have a bird or something go into the inlet tube? Since it not a straight shot, I can not look down it, but was thinking of cutting it to see if there is anything in it. The exhaust seems strong. Thanks again for the help. No problems so far with the door off, but am worried about the unstable flame.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

You could have something floating around inside your intake pipe. We have had garbage bags and a BKing wrapper get sucked into one. Kids also drop golf balls/toys etc in them. That will explain your low gas pressure. With that cover on and a shortage of air it increases the draft/suction in the burner box. That sucks on the hose leading to the gas valve and causes it to modulate closed so you get a proper air to gas mixture. Looks like you may have to replace your intake piping. Try blow it out backwards with a shop vac blower. If it is a floaty floating bag/wrapper like I had then it is impossible to blow out as it won't buildup pressure on it.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #13

Just got off the phone with the gas company. Wow! They send out a tech for free to inspect your furnace. If they find anything , then they charge to fix of course, but great, some more eyes. I'll get out there after work and remove the pipe to inspect for blockage. Thanks for all the help and advice!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

We have a very good gas co. too who provides some service, now that was easy