Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Ron Paul 2012

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Carrier Condensing Fan Motor (double check)

Here we go.

Grandmothers AC was not working and cooling for a short period of time and than would just blow room temp air. I checked the Tstat for proper temp setting and mode.

Checked Voltage to outdoor unit, heard the compressor cycle on but the condensing fan would not run. I waited for a small amount of time and heard the compressor cycle off. I figured this was because there was not heat being extracted from the condenser so it shut down to protect the compressor.

The condenser fan is receiving voltage and everything indicates that it should be running. I am not a master schematic reader but I followed the voltage from the L1/L2 contactor to the OCF and there is no relays or anything like that in between them that could be bad, it is pretty much straight to the fan.

It is a Carrier 38TXA030330 Manufactured in 2004, so the warranty would no longer be carried on the condensing fan. I am confident I can wire and replace the condenser fan, but I wanted some feedback to make sure I have troubleshooted this correctly.

Appreciate it guys!

HandymanCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

possible that the capacitor has failed... Does the fan turn easily with the power off?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Ron Paul 2012

Yes, I was able to move it back and fourth relatively easy. I noticed the capacitor for the compressor but may have missed the one for the OCF, what is the best way to test the capacitor?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

the capacitor may be a dual run capacitor and be for both the compressor and fan motor. Best way for someone to check it with out a capacitance meter would be to look at it visually to ensure that it is not swelled on the top or bottom. Other than that type of check, they are much much cheaper to replace than purchase a meter to do so.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Ron Paul 2012

I will check for the swelling and might look into buying a meter, but would you rule out the condenser fan as the possibility? If the capacitor was bad wouldn't it cut power to both the condenser fan and the compressor?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

i would not buy a meter unless you plan to use it a lot. Meter is at least $90. New capacitor > $20. I would not rule out the fan motor. If the cap were bulged a lot of times it only takes out one or the other and will leave the other one running.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
REP

The bulge is an easy check but I have found way too many bad caps that looked good.
Here is the way to look at it.If the cap you have is bad,a new one will fix the problem.If that doesn't fix it then you will need a new motor and you always replace the cap when you change out the motor so you would still need it.
When you go to get new cap,take the old one with you to make sure you get the right one.When you take the wires off the old cap.make sure you label them so you get them back on the right way.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
AKA HVACTECHFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
The bulge is an easy check but I have found way too many bad caps that looked good.
Here is the way to look at it.If the cap you have is bad,a new one will fix the problem.If that doesn't fix it then you will need a new motor and you always replace the cap when you change out the motor so you would still need it.
When you go to get new cap,take the old one with you to make sure you get the right one.When you take the wires off the old cap.make sure you label them so you get them back on the right way.
the problem is that the replacement motor (if it is not an oem direct replacement) may not use the same value capacitor as the old motor. But you are correct that as inexpensive as capacitors are I would recommend just replacing the capacitor to verify it will fix the problem.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
Ron Paul 2012

Job is complete, I changed out the dual capacitor and condenser fan. The cap was bad and the condenser fan was running on its last leg. Here are some pics of the unit.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #10

nice 300mm wafer

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Ron Paul 2012

Wafer, I feel like I just lost DIY respect points haha.

Again, thanks to your guys support. I am finding myself a couple times a day logging onto the forums looking around seeing if I can help out. This community is winning me over.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 22

Here's a blown dual run capacitor I came across today. Never seen one blow like this before.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Ron Paul 2012

Wow!