Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier Condensation Leak

Just had my furnace Carrier 58XSC100-101JG repaired and paid $600 to have the control board replaced. The board was burned up and the pro said it was due to a condensation leak dripping down and eventually reaching the control board. He showed me the leak. It was where the PVC exhaust pipe mated with the exhaust fan assembly. Looking at it today the leak is still there. There is a rubber coupler that clamps onto the unit exhaust fan assembly ~3in diameter (OD) and then clamps to the PVC exhaust pipe that is 2" PVC. (this is a 2in - 3in coupler to the 3in PVC that vents to the outside) The PVC OD is actually 2 3/4in or so. The rubber coupler clamp on the pvc end is tightened all the way so the seal is poor. Thus it still leaks. It seams to me that the Pro I paid should have noticed the mismatch of pipe diameters and the poor seal. The average hardware store has nothing in 3in OD. Does anyone know the proper mating arrangement / parts for coupling the Exhaust fan to PVC exhaust vent piping?

joehomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Did you call the company back and complain? They might just eat the return call ,doesn't hurt to ask.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,716

Call them back. And or the installing company.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 510

2 3/4" OD is 2 1/2 " pipe. A 2 1/2" x 2" PVC reducer is hard to find.
Like Marty and Beenthere have stated the $600 repair should have included this.
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, I know the guy should have done it right. However this is the way the unit was installed so he would probably charge to replace the coupler and maybe say that's a plumbers job.

Attached is a picture. The leak is at the red arrow. I have added a layer of rubber under the clamp so there is additional clamping force. It's holding for now. The condensation pools right at the pvc reducer. Is the 3" vent pipe installed correctly? Should the reducer be outside the furnace? How do I find the right installation parts to couple the furnace (Black 3"OD) to the PVC and account for the differences in the OD - sizing etc..??
Attached Images

joehomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote