Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier blower starts up even though honeywell is off

My fan blower starts up accasionally (when it gets below 40 degrees) even though my thermostat is on the off position (right beteen the "cool" and "heat" options. My fan only offers two options "full" and "auto" I leave it on auto all year. When the temp goes below 40 degree, the van blower will come on for about 15 to 20 seconds. Then it turns off for roughly the same amount of time. Then it repeats the same cycle, until I go and disengage the front panel so we can get some sleep. My unit (probably 15 to 20 years old) is a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 two speed 80 AFUE. The FAN/blower handles all air distribution year round for A/C and Funace.

Can someone tell me where to start troubleshooting this problem

Turtle learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,342

Are you talking about 40 degF outside temp? How cold is it where the furnace is? Is it in an attic or unheated crawlspace? Possible that the circuit board is faulty (common with them) and shrinking due to the cold and the fan relay is activating. Carrier had lots of problems with earlier boards with bad solder joints. Average life for any board is 10 yrs.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Actually I misspoke. The temp was 50 degF outside and 55 degF inside where the furnace is in the basement furnace room with the hotwater heater. It happened again this morning but again I misspoke, It only comes on for 5 seconds, then goes off or a 1/2 second, then comes on for another 5 seconds and then off again, comes on again for 5 seconds then off and will wait 10 or so minutes and start this cycle all over again, just when I was getting back to sleep. When it was happening this morning, the red trouble light would blink: two shorts followed by two longs.
Turtle learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,342

I think you may have a bad circuit board. Check the error code legend on the furnace door. Code 22 is "abnorrnal flame proving signal" on my chart. Flame proven with gas valve off code. VERY rare and if true you need a Pro to find out why as that could be VERY dangerous. I have seen hundreds of those units but never that code. Gas valve would have to be stuck open and that never seems to happen. Probably a bad board that won't stay on and with a faulty error code. I would get a Pro to check it for other problems unless you want to guess at changing some expensive parts.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 510

I'd say it a faulty board, unless you see a flame.
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Are you talking about 40 degF outside temp? How cold is it where the furnace is? Is it in an attic or unheated crawlspace? Possible that the circuit board is faulty (common with them) and shrinking due to the cold and the fan relay is activating. Carrier had lots of problems with earlier boards with bad solder joints. Average life for any board is 10 yrs.
It's obvious that it's shorting the fan terminals. But like you said that the board shrinks in cold weather and the points somehow make contact. That is where you need an on-site inspection and testing by a qualified Tech.

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote