Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

carrier blower not turning off

i started out just as a check and a filter change and found that the flame sensor was dirty. i cleaned it up and put it back in, it ran fine for about 10 minutes. i found the themostat wire was damaged and there was excess, so in fixing the problem the i pulled the white wire off and it arced. not sure if on frame of board. i thought no big deal flipped the service switch off and continued the fix. i put it together and nothing. found that a inline fuse on the red wire had blewas well as the blade fuse on the board. i replaced the inline fuse and the 3 amp blade fuse on the board. i pushed in the safety switch to see if was going to run and it didn't. blower turned on and will not turn off. if i call for heat it blows the blade fuse on the board. i checked other stuff im use to repairing like the limiter and checked for any other damaged wires. its obvious the furnace at sometime in the past got way to hot there alot of wire damage and its been taped up and i checked all of that with no avail. any help....

Last edited by agartin; 10-10-2008 at 03:51 PM.
agartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

One long run on sentence with no periods.

Punctuate that post so it makes sense please.

Last edited by hvaclover; 10-10-2008 at 05:36 PM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
the Musigician

ummmm i count 13 periods...... and agartin, sounds like a problem all right. i'm sure one of our friendly furnace guys can help you momentarily. =o) i'm not too good in this department. 8Ball is good, SD515 is good, kctermite can always help too. *jab-jab* hey guys!

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 10-10-2008 at 04:54 PM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
ummmm i count 13 periods...... and agartin, sounds like a problem all right. i'm sure one of our friendly furnace guys can help you momentarily. =o) i'm not too good in this department. 8Ball is good, SD515 is good, kctermite can always help too. *jab-jab* hey guys!

DM
NAW UH> He went back and edited it.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by agartin View Post
i started out just as a check and a filter change and found that the flame sensor was dirty. i cleaned it up and put it back in, it ran fine for about 10 minutes. i found the themostat wire was damaged and there was excess, so in fixing the problem the i pulled the white wire off and it arced. not sure if on frame of board. i thought no big deal flipped the service switch off and continued the fix. i put it together and nothing. found that a inline fuse on the red wire had blewas well as the blade fuse on the board. i replaced the inline fuse and the 3 amp blade fuse on the board. i pushed in the safety switch to see if was going to run and it didn't. blower turned on and will not turn off. if i call for heat it blows the blade fuse on the board. i checked other stuff im use to repairing like the limiter and checked for any other damaged wires. its obvious the furnace at sometime in the past got way to hot there alot of wire damage and its been taped up and i checked all of that with no avail. any help....
Ok now it makes sense. Thanks for the rewrite.

You keep blowing the board fuse? Check for grond shorts. Disconnect the trans former first and see if that stops it. If not have a lot of fuses handy and reemove the themostat wires. Hook up one at a time aand push door switch in after pulling each wire off. If that does not work remove all the wires from the board. With a new fuse start hooking the wires back on until fuse blows again. That wire that you put on will be where the short is.

Last edited by hvaclover; 10-10-2008 at 06:12 PM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
the Musigician

ah, gotcha. that would be confusing.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

One concern I start with is your mention of ‘its obvious the furnace at sometime in the past got way to hot there alot of wire damage and its been taped up’. Are the wires in the blower compartment or the burner compartment? How old is this furnace? We might be able to tell the age quickly if you post the model and serial number if you don’t know.
The way I understand what you are saying is, that the fuse will hold (not blow) if you turn the machine on without a call for heat. If the 3 amp blade fuse keeps blowing when there is a call for heat, the board might be fried…by shorting the 24V directly to ground. One test you can do to eliminate the t-stat and t-stat wiring is to shut the power off, put a small jumper wire on the board, between ‘R’ and ‘W’, then turn the power back on and push in the door safety switch. If the fuse blows instantly, something is grounding out the 24V.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #8

Hope he can read an ohm meter.

Those burnt wires -and that "in line" fuse in the red wire isa fusible link.

Sounds like an old 70% that had a flame roll out problem.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

The OP mentioned a dirty flame sensor, and a 3 amp blade fuse on the board, so I don’t see it being an old 70%-er. I’m thinking roll-out too, but the OP hasn’t said which wires are burnt. I’m also wondering about the in-line fuse in there. Sounds like it could have been modified/added. Question is why.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
The OP mentioned a dirty flame sensor, and a 3 amp blade fuse on the board, so I donít see it being an old 70%-er. Iím thinking roll-out too, but the OP hasnít said which wires are burnt. Iím also wondering about the in-line fuse in there. Sounds like it could have been modified/added. Question is why.

yeah, but I'm thinking may be he's calling the spark rod a sensor. Could be wrong, but that fusible link has me thinkin' 70%. We have guys around here who call it a sensor because the signal to shut off the ignition module travels down the spark rod.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

What terminals did you put the thermostat wires on, by color and letter?

R= Red Power
W= White Heat
G= Green Fan
Y= Yellow or Blue A/C
C= ?
If the white wire arced it would have to have had power on it, or be the common. Check the thermostat terminals and see where the white wire is connected...or the furnace was calling for heat when you were working on it. Was it?

If the wires are melted in the burner compartment, you may have additional issues. Also if the blower wont shut off normaly one of the safeties is open, high limit or your board is bad.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 10-10-2008 at 11:42 PM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
What terminals did you put the thermostat wires on, by color and letter?

R= Red Power
W= White Heat
G= Green Fan
Y= Yellow or Blue A/C
C= ?
If the white wire arced it would have to have had power on it, or be the common. Check the thermostat terminals and see where the white wire is connected...or the furnace was calling for heat when you were working on it. Was it?

If the wires are melted in the burner compartment, you may have additional issues. Also if the blower wont shut off normaly one of the safeties is open, high limit or your board is bad.
You are right. Those dang Carrier limits don't stand up well to dead shorts.

Fried enough in my career to know that.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Ohm out the T-stat wires. Sounds like a direct short. Disconnect all the wires at the thermostat, then down at the furnace's control board. go across each wire and see if any ring-out.

Gargecko is offline   Reply With Quote