Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier Air Handler Control Board

I think my control board may be failing but I am not sure. Is there a way to test to see if this is the problem? My Carrier air handler will suddenly turn off at least once a day, while the compressor still runs. After about twenty seconds, the air handler comes back on. This happens once or twice a day. Other than that it runs normally. If the control board was bad I would assume that the air handler would not run properly at all. Am I correct in assuming this? How do I test to see if this is the problem? I called the service guy and he says I probabily need a new blower motor.(Blower motor works fine in my opinion). Please help!!!

cap33905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 264

You say the air handler shuts off, but the outdoor unit continues to run. The only thing/part in the air handler that can be noticed shutting off is the blower motor.

The service guy was right on target in my opinion. Control boards do fail, but intermittent off cycles are not one of the potential failure modes that would be on a short list.

old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,748

Post full model number of air handler. Is it a VS blower, PSC blower, or an X13 blower. The model number of air handler would tell us what it has.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

The air handler model number is FV4ANB006. It is aprox. 11 years old and has regular maintance done twice a year. The blower is variable speed, and is one year old. It was replaced last year along with the thermostat and control board. When it was replaced, they used the wrong motor, and it reuined the control board. The new motor worked fine until about 6 months ago. The first sign of a problem was when the blower would shut down. Under normal conditions it would usually wind down from high speed to slow then off. A few times a day the blower would go from high speed to off. I turned the dehumidify function off at the thermostat and this problem stopped for about a month, now I have this new problem.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Probably a problem with the board.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #6

Is there any way to tell for sure. I have one guy saying its the board and others saying its the motor.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

The board tells the motor module what to do. While it could be a bad circuit in the motor's module, its not the motor itself. Someone would need a tester for VS ECM motors. And I think you have the ver 2.5 motor, which needs a special tester to test it.