Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Carrier AC problems

Hi all! I have a carrier 48gs-060130301 that is about 10 years old. Here is my situation. Around 9 pm last night when my thermostat was set to kick down, my main house breaker (200 amp) tripped as well as the 60 amp circuit going to my Carrier. I reset the main and then the 60 amp. As soon as I reset the 60 amp, the whole house tripped again. Hmmm...problems off the port side! I left the 60 amp circuit off and turned on the house again and everything was fine. This morning I turned on the 60 amp circuit to the carrier again and everything seemed fine. I turned on the AC but now it doesn't blow cold air, just air. I opened the unit and the contactor is looking rough. The three wires on the left of the contactor look burnt with the green(?) looking the worst, in fact it is almost entirely burnt through. Here is my question. The contactor is an inexpensive replacement but is replacing it likely to resolve the problem? Is there anything I should check up or down stream to try to resolve the root of this issue? Here are some pictures of the contactor and the burnt wires
Attached Thumbnails
Carrier AC problems-p1040646.jpg  

Snookered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
HVAC

Rewards Points: 0

Carrier AC problems

The points on the contactor don't look to be all that bad.

What does this green wire go to?

Green is usually a ground wire. It looks as if this wire shorted against the common wire off the contactor causing a dead short to ground. This can cause the 200a main to trip.

KAVF is offline   Reply With Quote