Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:20 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Carrier AC/Heat pump system help!!

I have an older (15 year old) Carrier AC/Heat pump electric 2 zone system, Model # 38BYB036300 that is not working properly. Originally I had the system serviced as it was not cooling properly and was just told the system was old and not large enough for my 2 story house. I called the serviceman out 3 days later and was then told that I had no power going to my thermostats and that I would need a new control box. After he did some rewiring the first floor cools now, the upper floor stays warm, and the system will not shut off unless I remove the metal breaker from my air handler in my attic.

The control box is a Carrier Weathermaker 2 zone Comfort Control box which I looked at and after moving a couple of wires around, as they were not set the same way as the thermostats are wired, the system is running better and cooling the main floor but the upper floor is still warm and the air is not coming out of the vents as strong there as on the main floor. I noticed on the control box after the unit is running for a couple of minutes the green LED flashes as it should, every second, but I see also that I am getting a solid red light on LED labeled G, Y1 and W2.

Again, I was told the control box is bad. My question is could the control box be bad and if not what possibly could be the problem with the system?

Partsman41953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Remove the wires from the thermostats that go to W2. If the light goes out. Stat is probably the problem.

Lots of techs don't like zoning systems. So they don't know much about them. may need to call a larger Carrier contractor. unless you have meters to check it with.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:24 AM   #3

I purchased a meter and checked the thermostats and found that I do have power going to both thermostats. I checked the control board and found that I have power going to the control board as well. I checked the transformer in the air handler and found that I have power on the negative side of the transformer but not on the positive side of the transformer. I am not sure if that is the way it is supposed to be or not but since I am getting power down to my thermostats I would assume that it is working properly.

Again, my problem is that I have no control of the system at all from either thermostat. Also, I air coming out of the vents is stronger on the main floor than it is on the main floor.

The thermostats are the original mercury filled thermostats which are 15 years old. Could it be possible that both thermostats went out at the same time and why would I have the difference in the air coming out of the vents?

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 09-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Generally. The transformer on the furnace, is not also used to power the zone panel.

Sounds like they just don't understand how zone systems work, and don't know how to wire them properly.

Might need to search for the wiring diagrams, and check their wiring.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #5

I have power going to my thermostats on my Carrier 2 zone AC/heat pump system but I cannot control the system at all with them; shut the system down or control the temperature. Would you think the thermostats are bad and is it possible that both thermostats could go bad at the same time?

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 09-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Probably just that the tech wired it up wrong.
or, your panel is bad. Or you moved some wires to the wrong place.

Need to look at the wiring diagrams.