Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Share |

Carrier 9200 Weathermaker furnace leaking

Hello,
I've been battling with my furnace for the past month. I'm sorry for the long story here but I wanted to include it so I might have some detail that I over looked. It all started with the blower motor not turning on. The inducer motor turned on fine and it fired up correctly but then the blower would not turn on and an electrical smell came from the ducts throughout the house. This turned out to be the controller board. A trace from the blower motor relay on the board was weak and evenually burned up. I was concerned that this was due to a high current draw from the motor so I replaced the board, the motor & cap, and even the 24V transformer. When I put everything back togather I had a had a hard time screwing one of the retaining screws back into the blower assembly. The Blower slides into a metal lip. The lip supports the blower assembly and there are 2 screws that hold the assembly in place so it won't move. I couldn't get one of the 2 screws in and figured that it really wasn't used for support so I left one of the screws out. The furnace fired up correctly and even blew hot air correctly. It operated correctly for about 10 hours. Then I head the inducer motor come on but the furnace would not fire up. I could see through the burner box window that the ignitor was not glowing. As i looked through the new schematic supplied with the new circuit board I noticed that the new board tied the inducer motor and the ingnitor to the same relay output. The old board had 2 seperate relays, one for each. The replacement board was a Carrier part and came with a wire harness adaptor. One other thing that I noticed was a small puddle around the bottom edge of the furnace. I opened the blower cover and could see that there was water dripping from the hole of the screw that I did not install. I got a new ignitor and actually had to remove the entire gas assembly and fire/burner box to get the stupid ignitor replaced. No, this did not have a single screw that holds the ignitor in place. It had this retaining clip sort of device that you have to push in its ears from the inside of the burner box. I got all the parts back together and even got the missing retaining screw back in the blower assembly. I fired it all up and the furnace has been working correctly as far as heating and blowing. But I still have water dripping into the blower assembly and causing puddles around the furnace base. I have checked the 3 drain tube lines that come out of the inducer motor/blower assembly and they are not clogged. When the furnace is heating I see water dripping out of the drain tube from this location. The water that is causing the puddles appears to be coming from right above the blower assembly which is where the heat exchangers are. I'm concerned that maybe the exchanger (or whatever you call these things right above the blower) has a crack and that is where the leak is coming from. Or does anyone know if there is some sort of drain tube or assembly that I need to check that drains water from the exchanger assembly? From what I can tell the only drainage tubes appear to come right out of the bottom corner of the inducer motor fan housing (3 of them).

PLEASE, can someone help me figure this out? I'm at my wits end and I can't afford much since I shot most of my wad on all the previous parts.
Feathergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

The screw plugged a hole in the heat exchanger and now that you removed it there is a leak.

Naw, just joking. I am 99.99% sure the secondary heat exchanger is leaking on it. Carrier had a factory recall/Class action lawsuit about that furnace. They will pay for some labor to replace the heat exchanger and give you a new one but you need to get a factory authorised genuine Carrier dealer to come out and verify the problem and do the work and pay him for a service call. Google Carrier class action lawsuit and you can find out about it.

Last edited by yuri; 04-02-2013 at 03:15 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #3

Thank you Yuri.

Sounds like you confirmed what I was suspecting after I did a little online research. I was hoping for a cheeper fix. Being that you are suggesting that this is a "secondary" exchanger do I need to worry about any kind of conbon monoxide issues? I know I will have to get this fixed but I'll need time to pool funds. If I can divert the leak to the drain until the real fix or resolve am I at risk of not waking up one morning?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

I am a Lennox tech but from what I have heard here Carrier will pay the labor to replace the secondary heat exchanger but not the primary. Apparently some take longer than others etc depending on the model and there may be some additional labor costs but I doubt it is over $500. $100 service call to verify it and probably 1-2 extra hours labor should cover it. It is probably quite rusty and rotten and will leak a lot more soon and could get inside the motor so I would get it replaced ASAP. I have seen pics of them and it can be a lot of area eaten away not just one pinhole leak. If it gets bad enough it can start tripping the pressure switch so I would get it done soon. Call some local Carrier dealers as I am sure they have done lots and can quote you a price, have the complete model and serial # AND series # ready for them.

Last edited by yuri; 04-02-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #5

Thanks again Yuri,

I'll get the numbers and give Carrier service a call to get a quote. Can you answer this, is the primary exchanger isolated from the secondary exchanger? Is there any carbon monoxide inside the secondary exchanger when the system is operating normally?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

when the system is operating "Normally" quote /unquote there is no or virtually no carbon monoxide. Kinda like running a propane forklift inside a warehouse, as long as it burns cleanly there is no risk. There may be a risk now as the blower under pressure will push air thru the hole into the secondary and up into the primary and will disturb the flame and cause bad combustion and pressure switch tripping. You DO NOT want to fool around with ANY heat heat exchanger leak or problem. The secondary is connected directly downstream to the primary like a transmission oil coooler. This is an example/not necessarily Carrier pic and is burned thru at the top but you can see the secondary and how it is attached below it. I have not pulled a Carrier apart to see how it is attached but apparently some come out as one unit and others as 2 and take longer.
Attached Images

Last edited by yuri; 04-02-2013 at 04:49 PM.