Carrier 9200 Heat Exchanger? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier 9200 Heat Exchanger?

I spent several hours trying to diagnose a problem with a Carrier Weathermaker 9200 60000 btu/h furnace. There are extra strong exhaust fumes coming out the concentric vent on the outside and the furnace does not kick out on the pressure switch. However, the burner compartment gets real hot and the burners kick out on either a high limit or a flame roll-out (fault code 33). I have pretty well eliminated a restricted air flow or a restricted vent (unless it is inside the heat exchanger). The flames start to flicker and bounce when the main blower kicks on. I'm suspecting a cracked or leaking heat exchanger. Has this been a problem with this model of furnace, and how can I be sure if that is the problem?

Thanks,
River Camper

Advertisement

Last edited by River Camper; 01-18-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors
River Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,704

A visual inspection of the heat exchanger.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 864

Pull the blower out, crawl in and look at the secondary heat ex. There has been a LOT of failures of them. If it is wet you know there is a problem.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I would bet money that it's the heat exchanger. Any takers?
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #5

I took the burner compartment off and looked inside the primary cells the best I could with a flashlight through the small holes for the in-shot style burners and couldn't see any cracks but there was some rust and I thought there could be a rusted seam that might be leaking. I also removed the blower and cleaned it thoroughly and used a small soft brush to get some of the dirt and lint off the secondary heat exchanger. I wasn't really looking for moisture on the heat exchanger at the time but I did notice the blower compartment was pretty wet around the bottom and was starting to rust. The owner had told me about a problem that he had to fix with a clogged drain trap in the furnace a few weeks earlier so I never really thought too much about finding moisture in the blower compartment. However, now that you mentioned it, it makes me think that it is possible that the moisture could be coming from the secondary heat exchanger. The owner is going to have someone with more experience look at it and I agreed. This is a very serious problem if what I suspect is right, but on the other hand it would be a very expensive mistake on my part if I am wrong and sold him a new furnace if his heat exchanger is not the problem.
In the mean time the furnace is shut down until it can be fixed.
Thank you for your input.
River Camper
River Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,704

Need to look down from the plenum.
Either a crack/hole. Or a plugging secondary.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #7

What I have noticed with Carrier high efficient heat exchanger replacements: 5 years old or less, only the secondary needs to be replaced. >5 years, both primary and secondary are toast. In all of them the trap is plugged, most of them the relief port tube is soft (feels like a thin-walled rubber hose), and most need a new cold spot baffle. If you're replacing both HEs, all the heads of the screws on the primary cell outlet panel are most likely rusted and round, so bring a new primary cell outlet panel to save time trying to remove these (they also have the gasket glued to it, so you don't have to position the new ones, saving you a little more time, lol).

When the new HE is in place, the drain trap has been cleaned, and you are firing up the unit, check the manifold pressure. I find that it's most often overfired (sometimes as much as 4"wc!), but when the manifold pressure is correct, I also find that it's overfired when I clock the meter (gotta clock the meter).
Old 01-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Need to look down from the plenum.
Either a crack/hole. Or a plugging secondary.

A lot of carrier high efficient PRIMARY heat exchangers won't appear bad without pulling the whole thing out.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #9

You have to take the secondary heat exchanger out and a part to see the restriction

Last edited by Swift; 12-18-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Time for a new furnace.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #11

Check with the HVAC company that is checking on it, but I have similar problems with my 9200, I get a pressure sensor fault code 31. I checked with Carrier and there is a 20 year recall on the heat exchangers of certain models of the 9200, which would basically cover the labor of this being replaced, you would just have to cover the cost of the part. The HVAC company should just waive the labor charges as they are being reimbursed by Carrier.
jhartmann1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartmann1981 View Post
Check with the HVAC company that is checking on it, but I have similar problems with my 9200, I get a pressure sensor fault code 31. I checked with Carrier and there is a 20 year recall on the heat exchangers of certain models of the 9200, which would basically cover the labor of this being replaced, you would just have to cover the cost of the part. The HVAC company should just waive the labor charges as they are being reimbursed by Carrier.
Actually if that furnace is less than 20 y/o the part and labor should be covered under Carrier/Bryant/Payne bulletin (not recall). You might have to pay a small nominal Warranty processing charge. That should not exceed $100
Old 12-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #13

Can you send me a link to this info, last time I called Carrier they told me only labor was covered and the HVAC company agreed. I think I do have a heat exchanger problem so if you can tell me where to find the bulletin it would be of great help, my unit is about 17 years old.
jhartmann1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,100

http://ismyfurnacesafe.com/files/carrier_lawsuit.pdf

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/cases.php?CaseID=33
Old 12-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #15

I have a similar problem and will need to replace my furnace. Probably both heat exchangers are going on mine because there is condensation in the furnace AND a contractor came over yesterday and showed me a vertical crack at least an inch long in the primary heat exchanger. The sour smell and the ongoing problem of the burners cutting off (and the non-stop fan after the burners rightly cut off) were also signs of trouble.

Under the suit--as far as I can tell AND from talking with a Carrier representative at the "Enhanced Warranty" number I got--the primary heat exchanger will be provided at no cost BUT you have to pay the labor for it to be replaced. If only the Secondary Heat Exchanger goes, Carrier essentially pays parts AND labor to have it reinstalled. Or you can get a credit for a replacement Carrier furnace.

In my case, as I've seen a crack in the primary heat exchanger, I am now considering what new furnace to get and using space heaters in the meantime. Best of luck.

Advertisement

Vaandjay is offline   Reply With Quote