Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier 58STA Rapid Flash and Code 11

Hello all,

I have a Carrier 58STA (about 6 years old, original install) that has worked very well in those 6 years. This morning I awoke to a cold house (32F outside) with a temp well below the setpoint on the Tstat. I pulled off the blower cover to find the LED with a Rapid Flash, which is supposed to indicate incorrect polarity. I verified the polarity to be correct. After reading a bit, I removed the Tstat red wire to the R terminal, and jumpered (briefly, less than 2 sec) the Twin/Test to the correct terminal to perform the component test. The code displayed was one long, one short (no previous code). Then, each component operated as they should. After completion of the test, I restored everything to it's original condition, re-energized, and set the Tstat to 78 (curr temp 74). The blower started, then stopped after about 90 sec, then the inducer, then the burners lit, etc. Sounds good, eh? The temp moved up to 76 deg (2 less than the setpoint, and shut off. Now, I have the rapid flashing LED again.

The only thing of mention I can recall is it would seem the Blower Motor Speed Change Relay seems to have had some issues. I can recall the blower running (hot or cool temps), the relay clicking, and the motor operating abruptly. It seems to make a bit of a banging sound (no gas involved there, as you might imagine).

Any suggestions? I am at a loss as the polarity is correct, and it throws no other codes. BTW, after the component check, the LED went solid, until the failure. I assumed it worked as a bit of a reset.

Thanks!

Yerfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 270

Sounds like a bad circuit board. I have worked on hordes of those units and never got an incorrect polarity code. False code means the board is bad. Did you check the voltage to the furnace and make sure it has a good ground to earth. Check to a copper water line. Check the hot to ground and neutral to ground, should have no voltage from neutral to ground or very very little.

harleyrider (01-22-2012), Yerfdog (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Sounds like a bad circuit board. I have worked on hordes of those units and never got an incorrect polarity code. False code means the board is bad. Did you check the voltage to the furnace and make sure it has a good ground to earth. Check to a copper water line. Check the hot to ground and neutral to ground, should have no voltage from neutral to ground or very very little.
Thanks for the response, Yuri. I checked the voltage to a copper pipe as well. Neutral to ground - zero. Hot to ground 120. Could the relay I spoke of (Blower Speed Change) cause such a problem? I heard it multiclicking yesterday. What I mean here is picking up, dropping out, in rapid succession.

As info, when I made these checks again this morning, I had powered off the unit overnight, and when powered up, the rapid flash was gone. It is running now, but I expect it will fail again directly. I'll post of any details if they occur.

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Don't know. We don't repair those boards just replace them. Not safe to repair as it has a critical flame failure circuit but that doesn't stop some guys from trying.
Yerfdog (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #5

Ok, it ran as anticipated for approximately 20 minutes, then while running, the LED went from solid to rapid flashing, yet it is still running and burning (has not reached the Tstat setpoint). No relay chatter at all.

Now, it reached the Tstat setpoint and the gas valve closed. We still have the rapid flashing led, and if history is any example, if I leave the power on, it may run again, but it will not heat without being powered down (or component checked).

Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Look above your post, you beat me to it.
Yerfdog (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #7

I understand what you're saying here, Yuri. I would not try to repair this particular board, either, but I am not opposed to changing components that are removable. I walked away from the furnace for a couple minutes (with power on) to get coffee. When I left, it had the rapid flash. I came back and it sounded like a relay trying to close or shorting (one of the blower relays, I suspect). The code was gone (back to solid LED). At this point, I can only guess one of the blower relays or the board itself, but I'm leaning toward one of the relays...
Old 11-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Hvac Pro

There are 4-5 relays on it and they are soldered on. Safety comes first. The board is probably damaged by arcing/spikes from the arcing relay and totally unsafe. $$ ain't worth dying for or compromising your families safety. Everything is done by the board, no extra relays external to replace.

Last edited by yuri; 11-07-2010 at 10:16 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
Yerfdog (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
There are 4-5 relays on it and they are soldered on. Safety comes first. The board is probably damaged by arcing/spikes from the arcing relay and totally unsafe. $$ ain't worth dying for or compromising your families safety.
That's exactly what I was looking for Yuri. I would have thought push on, but if they're soldered, I won't toy with them.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Hvac Pro

Difficult board to get at and change. Has a tricky fragile flat 20 pin connector which is easy to reverse and break on some of them. May want to get a Pro to do it.
Yerfdog (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Difficult board to get at and change. Has a tricky fragile flat 20 pin connector which is easy to reverse and break on some of them. May want to get a Pro to do it.
Thanks for the recommendation, Yuri, but I've worked around circuit boards for a long time. I assume the ICM282 would be a good replacement, based on what I've read thus far. Does that sound about right?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
Hvac Pro

You may be right, get the longer # off the board and compare it to this one
http://www.climatedoctors.com/items/...?itemid=429785

You may be wrong also, as this is a retrofit board and for earlier models. The OEM board does not need those extra cables. Would have to contact Carrier to be sure.

Last edited by yuri; 11-07-2010 at 11:36 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
Yerfdog (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
You may be right, get the longer # off the board and compare it to this one
http://www.climatedoctors.com/items/...?itemid=429785

You may be wrong also, as this is a retrofit board and for earlier models. The OEM board does not need those extra cables. Would have to contact Carrier to be sure.
The particular site you referenced does not list my unit (HK42FZ013), but it does reference HK42FZ011, and HK42FZ016, among others. Every other site I have seen references those models and mine as well.

My exact model number is 58STA135-22.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

You have to be VERY careful. Carrier has 2 dozen models of that board and you need to get the EXACT cross reference for it from them as it may have an extra feature, circuit, timing that is specific to your furnace for safety reasons. I call my Carrier supplier and they cross ref it for me. Cannot help you with that part unfortunately.
Yerfdog (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #15

Quote:
You have to be VERY careful. Carrier has 2 dozen models of that board and you need to get the EXACT cross reference for it from them as it may have an extra feature, circuit, timing that is specific to your furnace for safety reasons. I call my Carrier supplier and they cross ref it for me. Cannot help you with that part unfortunately.
Thanks for all the help, Yuri. I'll talk with a local HVAC shop on Monday.