DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Carrier 58SS Issues

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  claudebarnhart 
#1 ·
I have a Carrier 58SS furnace. Installed in 1984. When thermo call for heat, the pilot comes on, the burner kicks on, then kicks off, kicks on again, off again and on again. Usually 3 times. What is the issue here. Is it the flame sensor that is mounted by the pilot flame. If so does anyone have the part number. If not, what could the problem be. Furnace still runs through the cycle just does the on and off thing.

#4 ·
Carrier furnace model 58SS wont start up unless I tap on the pressure sensing switch. My guess is that the switch is sticking and doesnt go into its normal position afteer the heat cycle is complete. Also when it does work, the burner will come on go off two to three times beofre it stays on to complete the cycle. Looking at the schematic, the pressure switch is responsible for keeping the redundant valve in the hold position. Am I close?

#5 ·
Symptoms: Thermo calls for heat; inducer fan comes on; pilot lights; approx 60 sec burner lights; burner goes out in 4-6 sec (pilot stays lit); burner relights in approx 6-10 sec; sequence repeats; burner stays lit on relight 7th or 8th time; circulating fan starts approx 60-80 sec; sometimes during heat cycle the burner will go out, and instantly relight (circulating and inducer fans uninterrupted).

I have replaced the 3 wire pilot assembly, the lower control board, the pressure switch, and the inducer fan control board (relay contacts were burnt) and the symptoms persist. I have cut all power to the unit several times to see if timers would reset, to no avail.

In checking voltage to the gas valve, with R&W jumpered to bypass the thermostat, I note 24 VAC to gas valve term #4 and 0 VAC at term #1 (initially); after several seconds (while the inducer fan is running) 24 VAC is applied to term #1 and shortly thereafter the burners light. A few seconds after the burners light voltage disappears from term #1, burner goes out; and the same cycle repeats. After several such cycles 24 VAC does not disappear from term #1, burners light, fan starts and ops okay. Something is interrupting 24 VAC to the #1 term on the gas valve, apparently causing the burners to go out, once lighted -- but, cures itself after several cycles. ...???

Any help will be much appreciated.

Barney, in Memphis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.