DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Carrier 58RAV LED code 14 issues

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  kcb68 
#1 ·
I have 2 Carrier 58RAVQ35 units which were installed in 1992. These units were never serviced over the years which may be catching up with me now.
Recently, the upstairs unit started failing intermittently (no heat). The failure usually occured at night when it got cold. The service guy came and didn't see the problem so he replaced the board and said if that doesn't fix it I'll need a new unit. After about a 2 weeks of working, the unit started failing intermittently again so I decided to take a look at it myself. The current state of the unit is that I am seeing LED code 14 (Ignition lockout). I see the ignitor glow red hot, I see 24Vac at the gas value but no flame starts. I have swapped parts (flame sensor and cleaned both, ignitor, presure value) between my working and failing units and the failure still occurs on the same unit (but still somewhat intermittent). I'm guessing it's the gas value but it's not too cold down south so I have time to play since the down stairs unit still works. Questions:
1) What else could I do to isolate the problem further?
2) Could a sensor block the gas from coming on even if 24VAC is seen at the value terminals?
2) Is the gas value something a DIYer could do? I'm pretty handy (plumbing with copper pipes, hardwood floors, tiles, etc.) but never did anything with gas lines.
3) Should I bite the bullet and buy a new unit?

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
1) Get a new service company. They're parts changers and don't know the way a furnace works.
2) If you say you have 24 volts at the gas valve but no ignition? Why didn't he put a manometer on the gas valve and check the output gas pressure to the manifold. You may have 24 volts to the valve but it has to open, and it sounds like it is not. That's the reason for the manometer to see if you have 3.5" of gas pressure.
3) The flame sensor senses the flame after the gas is ignited. If it's dirty or has a cracked ceramic section. It will not send a signal to the board and keep the gas valve open, then the flame goes out.
4) The pressure switch has to close and send the 24 volts back to the board. Then the ignitor get power.
5) Call the contactor back, his work should be guaranteed for some period of time. That furnace is probably still good. It's a pretty poor tech that says it's bad and you'll have to replace it.
6) Show him this thread. He'd never keep a job around here.
7) I've seen dozens of furnaces never serviced, filter changed only. A shop vac, brush, cloths and an hour later they're running like a champ.
8) Oh did I mention the first tech didn't know much.

Go Buckeyes

4)

#3 ·
Buckeyes rock!

Hi Buckeyetech,
I just wanted to thank you for lighting a fire under me. I called the service guy back and he replaced the gas value which appeared to have a loose connection within the value itself. Shaking the wire going into the valve would cause an intermitent shut off of the gas. With the replaced part, the unit has been working for the past few weeks without a problem.
Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.