Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Carrier 58pav flame pattern question

Hi all,

I have a Carrier 58pav that locked out (code#14) last night. Upon inspection this morning the HSI was cracked. To my knowledge it's the original, probably 10-12 years old. I chalked up the failure to age, went to the store and bought a universal replacement to get me going. The replacement works great, but it lead me to notice something about the flame pattern.

This furnace has 4 burners, spaced about 2 inches apart and about 1-2 inches from the flame tubes. When lit, I noticed that the heart of the flames are fairly focused into the flame tubes, but there is a solid line of "superfluous flame" in the open gap between the burners and the flame tubes and between each burner. The superfluous flame [for lack of a better term]is enough to heat up the HSI and make it glow a bit, and also comes in contact with the walls housing the burner unit. Inspecting the burners themselves did not reveal any obvious defects.

Is this extra flame normal or should the burners only be throwing flame into the tubes? Again, the heart of the flames are directed into the tubes. I'm just concerned because the old HSI cracked right at the point the flames would have been in contact with it.

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by italie; 11-17-2011 at 10:18 AM.
italie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #2

Its probably nothing, but if you could take a short video with your phone and post it here I could give you a much more definitive answer.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harleyrider For This Useful Post:
italie (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

Will do, soon as I get home.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

The flame in between the burners is what carries the flame from one burner to the next which then lights each burner in the manifold. That is normal, the HSI sitting in the burning gas flame is also normal. The crack you found in your old HSI is normal for a 58PAV, That furnace is about what (10-15) years old. You should get at least 5 years out of your new HSI. Not uncommon to see them last 10 years or more.
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HVACDave For This Useful Post:
italie (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #5

Furnace was installed a few years before we moved in, so it is probably about that old. I figured it was probably just me over analyzing the repair. My house is 90 years old, so I tend to get a bit overcautious when gas or electricity are involved. (Even if it is a newer furnace...)

Appreciate the reply, very reassuring.