Carrier 58PAV Error Code 14 - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier 58PAV Error code 14

Hello,

We have a Carrier 58PAV furnace that is 11 years old and a Honeywell digital programmable thermostat that is about 10 1/2 years old.

I am having issues with my furnace and/or thermostat; not sure which. We notice that when the temp in the house starts declining below the set temp on the thermostat, I can go down in the basement to the furnace and see that the LED is blinking 1 short, 4 long (error 14 - ignition lockout).

I can then trip the circuit breaker, turn it back on, the furnace comes on, then fires up, and warms the house up to the set temperature. Later on, or the next day, it happens again. The furnace is back to error 14, I trip the breaker, and we're good.

If I put the thermostat on "hold" and bump the temp up a few degrees or more, the thermostat "clicks" like it's suppposed to when it sends the signal to the furnace to start up, but the furnace doesn't do anything. That's when I find out that it's in the error 14 mode again.

At one point, I reset everything, the room got warmer, but it would only heat up to the set temp for the schedule we had running. If I have it set with a higher temp using the "hold" button, the furnace would run, but only heat up to the scheduled temp and not the "hold" temp.

I replaced the batteries in the thermostat, checked the screws and wiring connection to make sure nothing was loose, changed the filter in the furnace, but am still having the same issue.

So, do I have a thermostat that is going bad, or is there something wrong with the furnace? I can easily replace the thermostat. Or if it's something with the furnace, is there something that I can do myself before calling in a service tech?

Thanks very much in advance!

Larry

Advertisement

Hermmona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,784

Its not a thermostat problem.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

We also have a Carrier 58PAV and have a constant Code 14 problem.

We've had nothing but issues with this thing for the past few years. Someone came out about two months ago just to look things over and clean the flame sensor. Everything "tested well" according to him.

Now the unit is constantly locking out. After we turn off the power to the unit using the switch in the closet and turn it back on, it will usually stay lit the first time. On the next cycle, it will usually light, then go out, rinse and repeat three more times, then lockout.

Sometimes it will stay lit on the second or third firing try of the 2nd cycle and run through. But I haven't seen it make it through a 3rd cycle yet without locking out.

Other notes:
- The ground wire was replaced March 2010 because the guy out to look at it that time thought it may be faulty.
- Unit was installed 01/05/2001 (tomorrow is its 11th birthday... and it acts like a two year old child)
- As noted above, the flame sensor was cleaned and tested two months ago.
- Both burners are lighting every time.

I am a complete novice, but would like to at least know some thoughts on what the issue could be so I can talk intelligently with a contractor about this.

Thanks,
Tom
tomwilsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 912

You need an EXPERIENCED tech who has worked on those units and is familiar with them. Get him to check the flame current in microamps and see if it is steady. There has been problems with those units where the air/draft blowing off the ventor fan hits the burners and causes them to be noisy and rough and give a wavering flame signal. The manufacturer had a special piece of tin that screwed on as a baffle below it to direct that air away but lots of them never got installed or thrown away. There has also been problems with the circuit boards on them failing from bad solder joints. May need a new board.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #5

Thanks for your input.

How do you suggest finding someone who is experienced with these units? Is there such a thing as a "Carrier certified" technician? If I call Carrier tomorrow, will they point me in the right direction?

Also, is it safe for me to continue resetting power to the unit to manually reset the lockout?

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by tomwilsonfl; 01-04-2012 at 09:43 PM.
tomwilsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,638

sorry but this is not a diy..need to have a tech experienced with carrier....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,784

Carrier has FAD, Factory Authorized Dealer.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Hvac Pro

yep. and talk to the service manager of the co you find and mention you heard about these conditions I told U and see if he can send someone familiar with them. never hurts to ask or try.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Carrier has FAD, Factory Authorized Dealer.
FAD means something else to the guys in my area. And it sure isn't Factory Authorized Dealer.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Hvac Pro

Now , now this is a family friendly forum so don't go there.

Advertisement