Carrier 58MSA - Working Intermittently - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier 58MSA - Working Intermittently

Carrier 58MSA - 8 years old - experiencing code 2-1 "Gas Heating Lockout - control will not auto reset. Intermittently will shut down (give error code) and I have to reset power - this works sometime but not always. Over past 2 years have replaced limit switch and flame igniter. Have recently cleaned flame sensor.

Note that it is happening less frequently (twice a week) since I replaced brand new allergen filter with less expensive basic filter.

Any suggestions to trouble shoot or make mods would be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement

Johnpcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 700

Are you absolutely sure that is the code. I have worked on hundreds of those units and have never seen that code. It is a VERY serious one meaning that the gas valve relay is stuck open/burner won't shut off. Should have nothing to do with airflow. You may have a faulty circuit board. Carrier has had lots of problems with them. Make sure you don't mix up the short from fast flashes/easy to do.

Advertisement

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #3

Yuri. thanks for the response. I did recheck the error code - short/long flash. I put the ultra allergen filter back in and within 1/2 hour i got the error code 2-1 Gas heating Lockout. Cut the main power and it was up and running again. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Any way to check circuit board to determine if functioning correctly.

Also, you mention that it is a VERY serious code...are you saying that the burner is always on / gas valve relay is always open....any way to check this...i smell no gas.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

It seems to me that the unit may be cutting out on the high limit and the board may be reading that wrong/giving a false code? I have never seen that code but maybe one of the other guys has. I have worked on a LOT of them and there has been quite a few problems with those boards. I would check the temperature rise thru the furnace with both filters. Check the supply temp about a foot downstream from the bonnet and subtract the return temp. Use a stick/cooking type thermometer. Should have a temp rating on the model# sticker ie: 40-70 degF. I do not recommend those ultra allergen filters as they are far too tight/restrictive. A Merv 8 or 10 is what I recommend. You should get a Carrier tech to check that unit now for safety reasons. Have him disconnect the fan motor/trip the limit and see if it gives a false code. If so you need a new board as that one may be unsafe! Don't take chances with your safety or your family for a few $$.

Last edited by yuri; 12-20-2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-21-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,454

I though 21 was the gas valve didn't open.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

That would give a code 14/34 ignition failure. I think this is part of the self test the board does B4 the unit starts up? Checks the press switch/all relays/grounding.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #7

Yuri...thanks - so far so good. I checked / cleaned all relays / ground connection and completed self test and everything has been working for a couple of days. Appreciate your help ... and your investment in time to respond. Any more problems...and i call an expert.

Advertisement