Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #1

Share |

Carrier 58MSA with a Code 31

Hi All,

I am a first time house owner. I've lived in condos and finally moved into a home 2 years ago and it has been nothing but problematic the last two winters. I get a code 31 from the LED's and my problem seemed to have been solved by performing one of the three following things:

1) Cycling the power to the furnace
2) Attaching a 45 degree nozzle on the end PVC outbound flow outside. This was supposed to help with any wind entering the pipe and affecting the back pressure.
3) Cleaning the igniter with some sandpaper

Personally I do not think any of these attempts actually addressed and fixed the problem. My opinion is that this is an intermittent problem as it has reared its ugly head once again. I have tried/checked all the the above.

Today I have checked for blockage in the outbound PVC for blockage but all seems clear.

This has been an ongoing intermittent problem, having a guy come out here is pointless since the furnace would start working again but the problem will manifest itself sometime later. This is a recipe for me to make multiple payments for multiple visits without actually getting the problem fixed.

I am a computer guy and very capable if given thorough directions. I am dedicated to purchase whatever tools I need to diagnose this problem. If someone could assist me with this problem I would be genuinely grateful.

Link to picture of my Carrier 59MSA: http://d-trix.ca/e107_plugins/autoga...gs%2F58MSA.jpg

Thanks in advance,

SortaDIM

(SortaDidItMyself)

Last edited by SortaDIM; 11-25-2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added link to picture of Carrier 58MSA
SortaDIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Carrier 58MSA with a Code 31

Hi sortaDIM

I could not tell a whole lot about your furnace from the picture. But from what I could tell it looked to me that the flue and air intake pipe are too small. If you could give me a product number and the pipe sizes, I bet I can tell you what is going on with your little Carrier.

Good luck
Rusty