Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #1

Share |

Carrier 58msa burner gasket

Where can I buy a replacement burner box gasket?

I cleaned out the primary heat exchanger with a vacuum and soft brush and when replacing the burner box, the gasket, which is a fiberglass
type gasket just fell apart in about 4 places. I tried as best as I could to arrange the gasket to fit without gaps back onto the burner box but I think that the gasket is not doing its job very good. The gasket I believe is for sealing the burner box to the heat exchanger opening s0 that the induction air will be sucked past the burners and not sneak throught the cracks between the burner box and heat excahnger.

My question is, does this gasket also insulate the burner box from the heat of the heat exchanger?

I ask this question because I notice that the top of the cabinet appears hotter than before I cleaned the burner box, heat exchanger.
The flame appears, after cleaning the burners, very good, a very clean blue flame with no jittering. Before the cleaning the flame had intermittent orange, yellow flickers.

I also flushed out the secondaty heat exchanger as per carrier maintenance manual. The water flowing from the collector box was quite rusty/sandy in appearance at first but eventually cleared up to flow clear. The condensate trap has also been flushed clean.

The outlet air has been checked for CO and the reading have been consistant at 0 from the just above the heat echanger air flow. I have not checked the co from the exhaust flue as the clear blue flames indicate a very clean burn.

Last edited by mdflyer; 12-25-2010 at 02:13 PM.
mdflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #2

Use RTV silicone sealant (red, high temp silicone). I dab it on the burner box so that the pieces of gasket will stick. Or, you can just use the rtv. Carrier suppliers don't stock that gasket.

hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Blues flames don't mean its burning with no CO. Blue flames can have very high CO.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Blues flames don't mean its burning with no CO. Blue flames can have very high CO.
Ok, just took it to read from the manual , and from shop class that the blue flame was the desired flame... you are right that doesn't always mean that there is enough O2 available to produce the desired less than 200 ppm..

Anyway, does anyone know if the gasket between the burner box and heat exchanger is a heat insulator.
From my previous post I am a little concerned about the temp of the cabinet.
The inducer fan is making the adequate pressure/ vacuum to satisfy the pressure switch, but maybe it is "just" enough and the flame is not being drawn far enough into the heat exchanger to keep temp in the burner box from rising.

Does anyone know if the inducer fan can become weak... It seems to me that it runs or it doesn't.. and as long as the seals are good, it either works to spec or doesn't run at all..

Also with a very casual guess I think that the exhaust output exiting the house appears somewhat weak...

Any thoughts are welcome...
Thanks

Last edited by mdflyer; 12-25-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdflyer View Post
Ok, just took it to read from the manual , and from shop class that the blue flame was the desired flame... you are right that doesn't always mean that there is enough O2 available to produce the desired less than 200 ppm..

200? Should be less then 100, unless your measuring air free.

Anyway, does anyone know if the gasket between the burner box and heat exchanger is a heat insulator.

No, its not.

From my previous post I am a little concerned about the temp of the cabinet. The inducer fan is making the adequate pressure/ vacuum to satisfy the pressure switch, but maybe it is "just" enough and the flame is not being drawn far enough into the heat exchanger to keep temp in the burner box from rising.

Does anyone know if the inducer fan can become weak... It seems to me that it runs or it doesn't.. and as long as the seals are good, it either works to spec or doesn't run at all..

Also with a very casual guess I think that the exhaust output exiting the house appears somewhat weak...

Any thoughts are welcome...
Thanks
Inducers can become weak, as in not running at full speed.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Inducers can become weak, as in not running at full speed.
Is there a way to test the inducer fan motor to see if it is weak? Other than of course buying a new one and comparing. I know the fan motor should run at 3300 rpm,unfortunately I don't have a strobe to test the speed.

The fan appears in excellent shape, no cracks pits or grime build up..The Motor runs without any abnormal noise..

Thanks,
Old 12-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

With a manometer, to see if its pulling as much pressure as it should. Along with an amp check.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #8

Thanks for the quick reply. I did an amp check and it is pulling .51 amps.
The motor's rating is .75 amps. Should the motor be pulling rated amps at .75?

Thanks again,
Old 12-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

You may want to redo your job and use plenty of RTV red silicone or go try buy some replacement "fake" asbestos gasket from a HVAC shop. It is expensive and comes in different thicknesses and only a very few true Pros carry it to replace gaskets with. I do and Oil burner guys do. You may be losing draft thru the exchanger and that is a VERY bad condition. Even with a manometer you don't know what the original draft was when new. You may getting draft but sneaking thru the wrong place so the reading is no sign of good healthy proper combustion. A healthy unit in my experience can produce .5" WC more draft than the pressure switch is proving at. I would redo the silicone job and make sure some oozes out the seams a bit but not a lot goes inside and could end up in the trap etc. The amp rating does not tell you where the draft is flowing thru, could be thru a gap in your gasket not thru the exchanger where it belongs.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdflyer View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I did an amp check and it is pulling .51 amps.
The motor's rating is .75 amps. Should the motor be pulling rated amps at .75?

Thanks again,
NO, it should almost never put rated amp.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #11

Well.. I think i have come up to a wall now....The draft is showing just over 3 inches WC. This high reading is pointing, I believe to a restriction in the primary or secondary heat exchanger. The flushing of the collector box might have caused some "rusty sludge to back up into the secondary heat exchanger and causing the air flow through the primary and secondary to be restricted.

Has anybody run across this on a 11 year old furnace?

Now I need an honest opinion, removing a heat exchanger and cleaning them is beyond my scope of operations. My next question is: Can the secondary heat exchanger be cleaned and if so is it an economical move? Carrier says that if it needs cleaned beyond blowing out vacuuming then it needs to be replaced.

I believe the replacement cost is around 800 dollars for both + install. The furnace is 11 years old. Time for a new one?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

It can be cleaned. But its usually not worth the effort. As it can leak a short time later. And need to be replaced.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #13

Thanks, I will call the service department for an inspection and a quote on a heat exchanger clean/replace.