Carrier 58 RAV Furnace Problem ? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier 58 RAV Furnace Problem ?

Hi,

I have a Carrier 58RAV Induced Combustion gas furnace (horizontal model) that sits right above the thermostat.

In the morning, a few days ago, I noticed that at I could hear the thermostat click .. low hum from the furnace ... about 30 seconds later high hum.... then after 10 seconds low hum again.

I went to the attic to view what was going on: The machine turns on, the pilot light turns on, the furnace turns on, then the furnace light goes out. The process then simply repeats.

I have noticed furnace problems in the morning when the thermostat is in auto mode or in manual mode.

The strange thing is that the unit works fine if it has been off all day. The thermostat operates correctly if I put it into 'manual' mode and set a specific heat. For instance, If I am gone all day the house typically dips to 59 degrees. When I get home, I can then set my thermostat to 73 degrees, and the furnace works flawlessly, heating my house to 73 degrees and then turning off after about 4-5 hours of operation.

I thought that it was the thermostat, so I changed the thermostat, but the problem still remains.

This is what I have done for troubleshooting so far:

1) Removed the access panels to the unit and checked the capacitor. The capacitor is fine. (took it to an HVAC shop)

2) Replaced the filter to the unit with a new one.

3) Replaced the thermostat

Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Here are some pics:

Attached Thumbnails
Carrier 58 RAV Furnace Problem ?-1.jpg   Carrier 58 RAV Furnace Problem ?-2.jpg   Carrier 58 RAV Furnace Problem ?-3.jpg   Carrier 58 RAV Furnace Problem ?-4.jpg  

Advertisement

fixit99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
how

Rewards Points: 606

Do you have a led light on the board that is blinking a diagnostic code after the furnace has shut down when the stat was still calling for heat?
It needs to be checked (if it's there) without interupting the power supply(meaning not allowing the door switch to cut the power).

Advertisement

how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 514

It looks like you have a 1992 control board. If this is the case you will not have a diagnostic LED. (The replacement board would have one)

Clean the flame sensor.

Measure the temperature before and after the furnace to get the heat rise.

Compare this number to the rated heat rise listed on the unit tag by the burner area. If we are exceeding the rated heat rise and you have already replaced the air filter, inspect the evaporator coil to the left of the furnace.
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

how... I don't have an led light on the control board.

Houston204 ... you are correct ! The home was built in 1992. I removed the cover on the control board to show what it looks like ....

I am a complete newbie at this, but the owners manual for the unit is there. Will I be able to identify the flame sensor form the drawings/schematics in the owners manual ? There is a unit tag attached to the door of the burner... I will check the 'heat rating" when I get home from work today ...
Old 12-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #5

The flame sensor has a single white wire connected to it. A 1/4" socket or nut driver will remove it. A small wire brush can be used to scrub the face of the burners to further improve flame rectification.

Avoid the ignitor with your wire brush, it is easily broken.

If the air filter was very dirty and it wasn't a pleated filter the evaporator coil is probably dirty, causing the limit switch to trip once the return air temperature is in the 70's.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #6

The heat rise is listed inside of the furnace on the tag that lists the model and serial number. It is probably 55 or 60 degrees max, listed as 30-60 or 30-55 degree rise.

The tag is on the left.

You can also just inspect the coil without measuring heat rise but it is a pain to get to it without risk of damage to 1/8" feeder tubes.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #7

Thanks for the useful information. After reading your response, I went back and looked at the filter that I put in on 11/1/11. I decided to change it, even though it is rated for "3 months" .. the instruction manual for the 58RAV says change it every "3 - 4 weeks". Also, you guessed the correct temperature range .. 30-60.

I cleaned the flame sensor, and used a wire-brush to ensure the blower tubes were clean. Then I vacuumed the area to ensure to pick up any debris in the area. I didn't see any water build-up or even residue in the tray below the unit ... also I am not confident enough to go after the evaporator coils ... so I left that part alone. I took some pics, for you to take a look at...
Attached Thumbnails
Carrier 58 RAV Furnace Problem ?-1.jpg   Carrier 58 RAV Furnace Problem ?-2.jpg   Carrier 58 RAV Furnace Problem ?-3.jpg   Carrier 58 RAV Furnace Problem ?-4.jpg   Carrier 58 RAV Furnace Problem ?-phpxbijckam.jpg  

Old 12-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

you need to clean up those wires on the t-stat......should not have any bare copper showing......
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #9

harleyrider,

Thanks for the advice. I will do so. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works ok tonight ... it is supposed to be 30 F outside ...
Old 12-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Turn the breaker or light switch to the furnace off before doing any wiring work. You do not want to blow the fuse on the board. That red wire on the R terminal is the main culprit.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rewards Points: 500

You saying it was humming? You sure the Draft motor was not locking up?
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #12

Thanks Everyone for their responses. Cleaning the flame sensor with some emory cloth seems to have taken care of my problems. The furnace is working good now.

Advertisement