Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Carrier 58 RAV Error 33

Hi All,

I have a Carrier 58RAV horizontal gas pack unit in the attic for the upstairs. Roughly 8 years old and heating worked fine last winter. Currently, when thermostat calls for heat the inducer motor comes on, then flame ignites, and finally blower comes on. It stays on long enough (3-5minutes) for warm air to exit the vents. At this time I hear a click at the thermostat and the carrier digital thermostat will go blank for about 2 minutes and I can hear the flame drop out along with the inducer fan, this all happens at the same time. Only the blower is still going and eventually it shuts down normally. Since it doesn't naturally satisfy the thermostat this will begin again with the same results, a short cycle if you will. The diagnostic LED will blink a code 33, three short followed by three long blinks. I have replaced the high limit switch and tried another thermostat which didn't help. Since the stat is powered by the 24vac from the unit I feel something in the unit is breaking down and causing the secondary reaction of the display going blank. I've heard there may be problems with Carrier CPU bds. and wonder if that could be the case. I'm somewhat mechanically/electrically inclined but have no direct experience with HVAC. I do have a manual for it but no real background in reading schematics. Any help would be appreciated....it's getting cold here in NC.

packmanMRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #2

Carrier 58 RAV Error 33

more than likely its the hi limit opening which kills the 24v and blanks out the tstat filters been cleaned, all registers open if yes try running with blower door off to allow max return air any differance start looking at your ducts anyone been in the attic (like cable guy maybe smashed the return) or do you have ductboard ducts that could have collapsed internaly

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #3

Carrier 58 RAV Error 33

so what happened???
Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #4

Carrier 58 RAV Error 33

Hey, thank you for the quick response. I will check all ducts, and the two returns tonight, as well as running with blower door removed. I will post and let u know what I find. I have two returns upstairs, one large main in hallway and another small one in bonus room. We partially closed one vent to the bonus room 7 yrs. ago when we moved in. That room has two vents and would get extremely warm, but I didn't close it all the way, and I closed it at the air handler box upstairs. Also, in the same room there is a small return, and while changing the filter weeks ago I realized I could not hear air being drawn in as the unit was running. Should I hear air moving through the small return like I do the large one ? And thanks again......
Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #5

Carrier 58 RAV Error 33

try putting a piece of newspaper up against that return with the fan on if it sucks it in and holds it on the grill its drawing quite well but it might just be one of those situations where it was a good idea but air like most things takes the path of least resistance and it may just not be drawing that much by design
Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #6

Carrier 58 RAV Error 33

Both intake and return checked out fine. The high limit is opening and I feel it's due to an overtemp within the box. What's the possibility of the heat exchanger causing this, either clogged opr cracked? Is ther an accurate way of checking this? Sure would hate having to pay someone to change this....the unit is only seven years old. That seems awfully early for the heat exchanger to be going bad. Any help would be appreciated.....thanks for the input.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #7

Carrier 58 RAV Error 33

do a heat rise calculation, inside the furnace theres a rating plate that states what the heat rise should be. normally like 45-65 degrees in other words if return air temp is 70 you should see supply air temps at 45 to 65 degrees above return temps. if your beyond this rating than youve got return air issues dirty or restrictive (pleated) filters or not enough return air, the furnace will need to run for awhile for temps to stabilize
Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #8

Carrier 58 RAV Error 33

Since the unit only stays on 3-5 minutes b4 opening the high limit it may be difficult to calculate a heat rise. I could try this in the amount of time it stays on, but I'm not sure the temp will have time to accurately stabilize.

As far as return air, I don't see how it could have lost any since last year. The amount of air moving out of the registers seems normal. Checked both returns and they are not restricted. The unit is upstairs where no one usually goes, so I don't feel it's external....crushed or collapsed run,etc. Other than the external filters at the returns, "which are new", I don't see any other filters in the system. Are there filters within the unit itself and if so where would they be? I didn't see any inside the unit when I was checking last week. My thinking leads me to consider the heat exchanger, since the high limit is close in proximity to this part of the system. If this was clogged or cracked what would be the symptom? I never had any yearly maintenance on this unit. Thanks for all you time and help in this....I appreciate it.

Last edited by packmanMRP; 11-19-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #9

Carrier 58 RAV Error 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmanMRP View Post
Since the unit only stays on 3-5 minutes b4 opening the high limit it may be difficult to calculate a heat rise. I could try this in the amount of time it stays on, but I'm not sure the temp will have time to accurately stabilize.

As far as return air, I don't see how it could have lost any since last year. The amount of air moving out of the registers seems normal. Checked both returns and they are not restricted. The unit is upstairs where no one usually goes, so I don't feel it's external....crushed or collapsed run,etc. Other than the external filters at the returns, "which are new", I don't see any other filters in the system. Are there filters within the unit itself and if so where would they be? I didn't see any inside the unit when I was checking last week. My thinking leads me to consider the heat exchanger, since the high limit is close in proximity to this part of the system. If this was clogged or cracked what would be the symptom? I never had any yearly maintenance on this unit. Thanks for all you time and help in this....I appreciate it.
more than likely the heat ex being bad would cause ther flame rollout to open which would not reset itself so i dont think its that. jump the limit and see if it stays on
Old 11-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #10

Carrier 58 RAV Error 33

kennzz05: "more than likely the heat ex being bad would cause ther flame rollout to open which would not reset itself so i dont think its that. jump the limit and see if it stays on".

I failed to mention in my earlier post that I had jumped the High Limit, and it ran with it jumpered. So I quickly removed the jumper after 5+ minutes and it immediately opened. Would it have opened right away unless the temp inside the box wasn't over the 220 limit? You could feel the side of the box getting hotter as it ran. Of course, I have no way of measuring the heat to say exactly what that temp registered. But the high limit is a 220F limit and always resets itself after the box cools down. Could the heat exchanger be clogged rather than cracked, therefore tripping the limit rather than the flame rollout? Thanks for hanging in there with me on this....much appreciated.