DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Carrier 5 Ton Condensor fan running Slow.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dtgibson 
#1 ·
I have wierd issue. I lost the run / start cap recently. I could bump start the fan and it ran what appeared a little slowly. This unit has run for 9 years with no issues - since new. I checked the input voltage - 230. So I replaced the fan and the 50/5 MDF 440 dual cap checked the voltages on the eqipment side of the contactor and everything looked good. The compressor runs fine - the house cools - it seems to be drawing heat out of the unit. But the fan runs slower than any unit I have looked at. The motor is a GE 1100 RPM (new) Thoughts, What else can I do?

#4 ·
Dtgibson,
Check the wires again. What are the wire colors of the new motor? Give me the diagram of the new motor and how you connect them.
If you are sure that the wires are right, then return that fan motor and get a new one. It can cool fine now, but you will have alot of problems later as it will not reject heat fast enough.

#5 ·
Figured out the issue, the original parts supplier sold me the wrong motor. What they claimed was the right one turn out to be one for a much newer condenser unit. Put the right motor in - and it took off as expected. Thanks for all the suggestions. FYI Columbuselectricworks.com is awesome place to get your replacement motors..... They are very helpful and go the extra mile.. A+++++

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.