Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #1

Share |

Carbon Fouling

What Are Some Of The More Common Causes Of Carbon Fouling The Igniter Tips On An Oil Furnace? My 18 Yr. Old Tempstar Has Been Requiring Daily Tip Cleaning. I Just Got An Oil Fill-up And Was Starting To Blame The Stir Up Of Whatever Is In The Tank. But That Was Three Weeks Ago. Could The Air Adjustment Be Too Rich Or Lean?
ROCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Diesel Fitter

Carbon Fouling

Im not an expert on oil fired units but I do like to use in line filters on the feed if you have this on yours replace it if not your atomizer (as i call them) may be fouled I dont order my parts so my terms may be wrong but its like an injecter ina car engine. they do have #'s on them so you will be able to get an exact match.
mikemy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Carbon Fouling

Hi ROCCO

Not sure if you are still looking for an answer, but if you are hopefully this will help. Oil furnaces have to be serviced every year to insure their proper and safe operation. The flue tubes need to be cleaned to keep from a backdraft into the burner assembly. The fouling that you are seeing is an indication that you could be close to a total closure of the flue tube in the heat exchanger. The best thing to do to insure yourself against premature failure and safe operation, is to have a professional come out and do the work. If you are interested in learning how to do the maintenance and assume the liability for your self, ask the technician if he would be willing to show you the needed proceedure. Keep him in mind for parts if he is willing to do so, just remember he made the initial investment in himself and this would be a favor to you if he chooses to do so.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 03-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #4

Carbon Fouling

Thanks For The Assistance. That May Explain A Lot. We Just Had A Nice Spell Of Warm Weather Which Let My Oil Tank To Settle Out After The Fill Up That I Feel Stirred Up A Lot Of Moisture And Whatever Has Built Up After 30+ Years. I Filled Up In Early Feb. This Tank Should Last Until Next Jan. I Am Now Researching For A Good Gas Furnace. My Furnace Guy Wants To Install A Goodman. I'm A Little Leary After Reading So Many Negative Reviews. I'm Open To Any And All Suggestions As What To Install. I Hope Alot Of People Will Take The Time To Advise Me On That Point.
ROCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Carbon Fouling

Hi ROCCO

Everyone has an opinion about the various manufacturers. Goodman has came along way from a couple of years ago. However they still have a long way to go to be a quality competitive company. I am a Carrier person, but they are the top of the food chain and are very expensive to purchase. However if it is in your budget to do so, you will get a good return on your investment. Hope this helps with your decision.

Good Luck
Rusty