DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

can't find furnace filter!!!!

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  COLDIRON 
#1 ·
Really, I did not think this would be so difficult! I have a heil sp80 gas furnace and I haven't changed the filter all season. I don't even think that it has one! There is two doors. The fan is on top and the air blows up. I assume that it has to be somewhere close to the fan but I don't see anything to secure one. Kinda scared to do anything w/o being completely sure it is okay.:(

#2 ·
Easy hit the switch on the wall turn the power off, take the two doors of you should be able to see the filters in the ducting.

Some places that dont have filter racks on the return side will install filter media on the return air vents when they go into the wall. This can be useful in a condo where your unit maybe hidden in a ceiling space.

#5 ·
Thanks so much guys! Still haven't found it. Could it be in the ceiling? There is a large vent on the other side of the wall in the ceiling. I thought that was the return air vent though. I will try to post some pics. It seems like I am making this way too difficult.

#6 ·
If the air filters are in the return air louvers, then there should be one in each and every return air louver.

#7 ·
Some return air grills are large and are called return air filter grills that have filters in them.

The filter will be in the return air somewhere.

Usually when the fan is on top it's a counterflow furnace which means the air blows out the bottom so if the fan is up start looking up there somewhere for the filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.