Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

Share |

Can you help me find a replacement thermostat? Having trouble!

Hi! I am hoping you can help me find out what type of heat pump I have, and what replacement thermostat I can get for my type of system.
Heat Pump Model: Carrier 38EYG
Air Handler Model: Carrier FV4BNF002
Current Thermostat Model: Honeywell T8411R 1028(2). It has am Em. Heat setting. No idea if it's hooked up or if my system has an emergency heat feature.

What I would like in a new thermostat:
Price Not looking to spend a whole lot. Not above $60. Unless it's just a really good therm. and has all of my desired features. Then I'd probably go up to $75.

1. Programmable (5-2, 5-1-1 or 7 day) with multiple settings per day.
2. I'd like for it to have swing settings. I've read this can be very beneficial cost wise. Right now I believe my Honeywell kicks on a lot more often than it could if I had a swing of 2 degrees vs. the 1 my current thermostat might be? (I assume it's probably 1 or so because that seems to be what all Honeywell thermostats are). I also have read that it kicking on often can be detrimental to the HVAC. But I am still not sure on how swing works. I am not sure if I'd love my system waiting to kick on until it gets to 78 deg if I set it to 76, or vice-versa.

3. Backlit display.

4. Indoor temperature along with set temp. would be nice- but I see very few models have this feature.

5. Daylight savings time recall (or whatever it's called) would be nice too so we wouldn't have to remember to adjust another clock. I'd also hope that it kept the programming in-tact in the event of a brief power outage.

I may be unreasonable in the things I am looking for. Here is what I've looked into:
*Lux TX9000S (if my system is multi stage I a not sure if this works with it)
*Honeywell RTH7500D (No swing option.. so it may cycle on/off a lot, which again, my system may already do and I just don't know the difference)
*Honeywell RTH7600 (touchscreen model) Again, no swing.
*Honeywell RTH6450- no swing, no daylight savings backup.
*Lux TX9100E- (if my system is multi stage then this would work with it and has swing options. But, it honestly looks archaic and huge.

The Honeywells meet just about all of my requirements except for the swing feature. If this swing isn't actually beneficial then I'd probably go with one of the Honeywells. Mostly I need help determining what type of system I actually have, and I can probably determine which thermostats are compatible with that information. I think.
Thank you for reading and assisting. Sorry this is so long!

Last edited by chicy724; 07-02-2012 at 06:58 PM.
chicy724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You have a Variable Speed furnace, and a heat pump, so I would say yes, as long as the system is set up correctly, Emergency Heat will work when it is supposed to, not when it shouldn't. The thermostat you have is fine. It is a two stage heat, single stage cool, and will work with a Heat pump.

With a Heat pump, you do not want to have it adjust the settings all day long. It defeats the purpose of having a heat pump in the first place. Only time you would want it to lower or raise the temps, is in a business setting, when you close at night, then open in the morning.

If nothing is wrong with your thermostat you have now, leave it alone, but as for if it is wired properly, look at where the low voltage wiring connects inside the outside unit and post the colors and what terminal they are on. The same for the furnace inside the home, and the same on the thermostat back.

From there, the experts can tell you if it is connected correctly, and what you should have your settings on for the thermostat. Now of course, there are ones like the Honeywell IAQ, which are top of the line, and can do everything but make your coffee and bagel in the morning, but give them time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

The TX9100E will work with your system.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-TH...item1e6fa478cd

How about this nice thermostat
Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

If nothing is wrong with your thermostat you have now, leave it alone,
Nothing is wrong with it. Except that I cannot see it at night without turning on a light nearby which are all very bright (which bothers my eyes), and it does not program.
My hubby turns it down to 74 for his AM workout because it's too hot at 75 or 76 for him. He always forgets to turn it back up before we leave for work. if I forget then we're wasting lots of energy while we're away every day.
I turn it to 76 or 77 when we go to work, and it basically stays on 76 most of the time, except when we go to bed, I turn it to 75 for bedtime, and hubby turns it to 74 in the AM for his workouts.
Being able to program the temp to go back up at 8am or something, so I don't have to remember to turn it back up after his workouts, would be very nice.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilosos2 View Post
Well, isn't that one just fancy-dancy I will look into it... but is more than I want to spend and is missing some features I'd be willing to spend the $$ for
Old 07-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

In that case, you may be better to look at one of the Internet or smartphone capable controlled thermostats. The Nest, Ecobee, 3m/Radio Thermostat Co. of America, Honeywell Prestige. As for the cycling, if people are fudging with the thermostat, it will cycle more, because it is not staying at one set temp.

Also, how well insulated or air tight is the house. That in itself can have a lot to do with how much your system runs. Personally, I have my Swing set on my thermostat set at 1.5, because like you, I found that at a swing of 1, it would cycle every 10 to 15 min's, now at 1.5, it cycles maybe twice an hour, three times if really hot outside, with a set temp of 72 during the day, 69 at night.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicy724 View Post
Well, isn't that one just fancy-dancy I will look into it... but is more than I want to spend and is missing some features I'd be willing to spend the $$ for
$85 is pretty cheap for what you are looking for. Anything lower, you pretty much are not going to find anything that will have everything on your punch list.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Also, how well insulated or air tight is the house. That in itself can have a lot to do with how much your system runs. Personally, I have my Swing set on my thermostat set at 1.5, because like you, I found that at a swing of 1, it would cycle every 10 to 15 min's, now at 1.5, it cycles maybe twice an hour, three times if really hot outside, with a set temp of 72 during the day, 69 at night.
It is quite air tight and well insulated- as far as we're aware. We have good windows and doors, everything is sealed around, etc.

About the swing- is that something you think I'd benefit from truly? I just don't know about it. It honestly confuses me a little. If swing is really beneficial then I'll have to stay away from all of these Honeywells and that reduces my options drastically. I don't mind the Lux models, they just look so huge!
Do you know of any other models/brands that have this swing option, which would work for my multi-stage system? The Honeywell you provided a link for looks great, but I still don't think it has the swing feature.

I *could* spend more $$. But my hubby is not too keen on the idea of buying a new one. He says he just won't turn it up in the AM which is just silly because it makes him much less efficient during his workout. I'd rather he be able to turn it down without worrying and be comfortable. And I'd rather not have to worry about turning it back up since he can't manage to remember that early in the AM
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

To ask you a simple question and to get back to the basics, if you leave the thermostat on 75, how many times does it cycle in an hour?

Also, depending on where you live, and along with how much people go in and out of the house, or also put a huge heat gain on the system by powering up stuff like computers, plasma tv sets, have the stove and/or oven on all of the time, drapes open on windows, or eve if they are closed, you can still have sun gain to cause heating up of a room.

As for your hubby working out, if this is just a room somewhere in the house, get a portable a/c unit, or run a fan in that room during work out time.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
chicy724 (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
AKA HVACTECHFW

you do NOT want a programmable stat for a HP system! During heating season you will lose all savings by using a setback temp.
The Following User Says Thank You to hvactech126 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #12

When it's set on 75 I am asleep, so I am not sure about its cycling I am currently keeping track of it. It's set to 77 right now, which is not typical for us as we usually have it to 76 but it was cooler out today so 76 felt freezing. So I am not sure this is a good representation the typical run-time. Between 8p and 9p (1hr) it's come on 4 times. If it were at 76, I assume it may come on at least 5 times.
He uses the fan and turns down the A/C during his workout. (He just told me that he remembered to turn it back up this AM!) The room he works out in is our great room with a vaulted ceiling that's open to the kitchen. So it's a large area. Window a/c is not an option.

We live in Florida, on the Panhandle. There are only the two of us in the house. We do not go in and out often. During the week we go in and out in the AM, lunch time, then when we get home. On the weekends though, the doors can open frequently if hubby is working in the yard. We do not use the oven all too often, but do use the stove top often. My laptop is typically on all day/night, as is his (in a different room). We have an LCD tv in the living room which is usually on for a few hrs a night and he uses it for his workouts in the AM. We do not have a ton of windows. In that large room I described there is one frosted window on the entry door, one large window (shade stays closed almost always) in the kitchen- has walls blocking most of it from the kitchen, one medium size in the main area where he works out, and one single door with glass panel in that same area. Our house is also well shaded by trees and other houses (we live in a new'ish subdivision where they crammed houses onto the smallest of lots they possibly could).

Last edited by chicy724; 07-02-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
you do NOT want a programmable stat for a HP system! During heating season you will lose all savings by using a setback temp.
Hi there. Thank you for the reply. Can you please explain a little about why or how this is the case? And what is a setback temp? We don't use heat very much during the year unless we have an abnormally cold winter- which has happened.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
AKA HVACTECHFW

setback temp is when you set back the temp at different time when you are not home or sleeping using a programmable thermostat. IF your setback temp is too great then during recovery from the setback temp you will loose all savings of setting back the temp because your stat will call for aux heat which is expensive to operate compared to regular heat pump use w/o aux heat.
The Following User Says Thank You to hvactech126 For This Useful Post:
chicy724 (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
setback temp is when you set back the temp at different time when you are not home or sleeping using a programmable thermostat. IF your setback temp is too great then during recovery from the setback temp you will loose all savings of setting back the temp because your stat will call for aux heat which is expensive to operate compared to regular heat pump use w/o aux heat.
In the winter we typically have the system set between 69/71. I don't believe we fiddle too much with the temp in the winter time. Trying to remember if we change it at all, but I cannot remember precisely. If anything I may turn it down a degree or two at night. He wasn't doing the workouts last winter so I do not know if he'd need to turn it down or up then.