Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can you glue to HVAC Ducts

Hi, sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, however, I cannot find it anywhere. I am finishing my basement and I have two HVAC ducts that sit below and are attached to the floor joists above. I was thinking of ways to cover the ducts with lossing the least amount of head room. If all else fails I will box the ducts in with 1x3 furring strips. My last thought was to box the ducts in with rigid foam insulation. My question becomes, can i attach the insulation to the ducts using construction adhesives? With the ducts getting hot then cold throughout the seasons (I'm in NY), will this mess with the glue and will the insulation fall off, thus bring me to square one? Also, will the insualtion be alright with the ducts becoming hot and cold? I tend to this the insualtion will be alright, but thought I would still ask. I hope I explained it enough and I appreciate any response.

tro0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 258

I don't see any problem with gluing to your existing ductwork with a construction adhesive that was approved for use with foam insulation. We used to glue acoustical insulation to the inside of both supply and return ducts with contact cement and had little problems with the insulation coming off. I don't think you will have any problems with the temp. change etc. it will probably make a quieter system than you have now. How close will you be to the furnace plenum take off and what type of furnace are you using? (gas, electric, oil)

HVACDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

It is a gas furnace and it is located in a seperate room, 1 floor up.
tro0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,554

How are you going to heat the finished basement.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote