Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
Custom User Title

Share |

Can you create "zones" to existing heating system?

We have a ranch house that is a hair over 1000 square feet. It has an oil heat forced air unit in the basement. The thermostat is in the living room. If we close the bedroom doors in the winter, they get pretty cold because the thermostat doesn't recognize them getting colder because of the thermostat placement. Is there a way to create different zones to the existing unit? This isn't something I need to do right away but I'm concerned when we finally have kids. I want to be able to lock them in their bedroom and don't think it would be good to freeze them out. I would think the easiest way would be to someone make the thermostat read the temperature in the bedrooms but I would feel the rest of the house would get to hot if its just turning on to warm up one room.

Thoughts?

no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1hustler View Post
We have a ranch house that is a hair over 1000 square feet. It has an oil heat forced air unit in the basement. The thermostat is in the living room. If we close the bedroom doors in the winter, they get pretty cold because the thermostat doesn't recognize them getting colder because of the thermostat placement. Is there a way to create different zones to the existing unit? This isn't something I need to do right away but I'm concerned when we finally have kids. I want to be able to lock them in their bedroom and don't think it would be good to freeze them out. I would think the easiest way would be to someone make the thermostat read the temperature in the bedrooms but I would feel the rest of the house would get to hot if its just turning on to warm up one room.

Thoughts?
Oh my............lock you kids in a bedroom?

Those rooms get cold when the door is closed due to lack or return air

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harleyrider For This Useful Post:
no1hustler (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Custom User Title

:p Thought someone would like that.

There are returns in every room. They are only doing something when the fan kicks on.
no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #4

Quote:

Thoughts?
Do what we did, get an electric fireplace (or space heater if you please) and hook it up to a plug in programmable thermostat. It's electric heat but you're only heating that little room so it's less money. We've had the room at 70 and the rest of the house at 50 before.

But now we turn on the pellet stove overnight so the rest of the house isn't so cold.

Here is the outlet thermostat:

http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Heating-Co.../dp/B000E7NYY8

You can use it for a Window AC unit as well. I have it crank the heat in the morning for use as an alarm clock of sorts.
Weird_T_Figure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #5

do you have a reurn register under or near the stat,keep in mind it's the return air movement that satisfies the stat.your right on adding a stat in the rooms then the living room will over heat.might connsider relocating the sta toward the rooms to catch them.your ahead of the situation there with returns at least in each room.is the furnace in an attic......if so cold air in the off cycle is actually dropping down into the rooms thru the return and supply ducts
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
:p Thought someone would like that.

There are returns in every room. They are only doing something when the fan kicks on.
Check them with a piece of tissue paper and make sure they are pulling air back......
to answer your question, yes the system can be converted to a zone system, providing you don't mind paying for alot of controls and wiring.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #7

So many things that could be the issue and so many things that would help.

First off, why do the bedrooms get cold with the doors closed???? If we can figure that out, the fix can be made....

Maybe the rooms are leaking a lot of cold air from outside. Look for window, exterior wall electrical outlets and wall to floor cracks and gaps. You can test each room by turning the ac/furnace fan on (with no heat or cool), then close the bedroom door and block off the supply duct to that room. The return in that room should be creating a vacuum in the room and that in turn should suck cold air in from outside. You can run your hands around things on the outside walls and see if you feel cold air currents. Seal these up as you find them. You can also go outside with an insense stick or a cigarette and see if you can watch the smoke being sucked into the crack between the wall and the slab... or if you have a basement you can do this in the basement.

another idea is that your supplies are not "balanced"... and in fact your returns might not be balanced also. Or maybe your returns are way to big for the rooms and are sucking up more air then the supplies are providing, or the supplies are not sending enough air to the returns, so that air is being sucked in from the various cracks etc in the house. I would suggest that you try and balance your system by yourself (but watch out for high static pressure!!!) or that you have someone come out and balance the system for you.

You may also want to check your filter... If it was my house, I would take out the filter and run the system overnight and see if there is any difference in comfort in the bedrooms. The filter might be restrictive... or dirty,,, who knows!!!

finally, of course I cant see your floorplan but, if you have registers in each room, where is the Thermostat??? the thermostat, by rule of thumb should be within arms reach of a return. The idea is that the thermostat is sampling sort of the average temp of the air and that the place where the sample is taken has some air flow and is representative of the entire house. maybe the thermostat needs to be moved????

Bottom line is to look at the whole house as a system and try to envision why those rooms are cold!!!!!

anyway... hope these ideas help!!!

bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote