Can A Trane Xe80 Do Fan Only? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can a Trane xe80 do Fan only?

Hello
I need to move air in my house in the winter when I am using a woodstove. Most of the heat stays in the family room where the stove is. My current Honeywell thermostat is heating only. I want to use the fan in the furnace to move the air and heat around in the house.
If I get a heating and cooling thermostat and connect the Y and G wires on both ends, will it work?

Fred k.

Advertisement

Fredmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Can a Trane xe80 do Fan only?

Does this furnace have a circuit board (PC style)?? If so, it should have a 'G' terminal. Connecting 'R' to 'G' (via a jumper wire) will turn on the blower (constant run).

To answer your question of "If I get a heating and cooling thermostat and connect the Y and G wires on both ends, will it work?" No...not Y & G,(maybe I mis-understood your concept) but yes you can get it to work but you need a third wire in your t-stat cable from the furn to the stat. If you have a 2 wire run now, you can replace it with a 3 or 4 (or more) wire cable. Probably what you have is 18/2 wire, and you'll probably find 18/4 at your local store....and a heat/cool stat that you like.

What you would do:
Replace the stat and the cable with new.
At the furnace: Connect red to R, white to W and green (or blue...depends what it has) to G. That should leave a yellow left over (which you can just cap off if you don't have AC. No need to cut it short, just cap it).
At the stat: same wiring...red to R, white to W, green to G. You can tuck the yellow or hook it up...doesn't matter.

The function of the terminals: R supplies 24V out. When the furn gets that 24V back on W, it starts heat mode. On G, it turns on the blower(constant run), on Y it starts cool mode. Y & G are basically the same at the furnace, but they are not at the stat.

Advertisement

Last edited by SD515; 09-12-2008 at 09:16 PM.
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote