Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #1

Share |

Can someone help me with this?

Recently purchased a home with this unit (Rheem Classic, model # RPMC-030JAZ, serial #6305 M4500 06412) installed in it. It appears to me to be a very poor instalation, and I had intended to replace complete system including ductwork as soon as the weather warms and we do not need the heat. But the last three nights in the middle of the nights, the outside unit being outside my bedroom window was screeching terribly, and this is the only three times I have heard it. Could anyone tell me what is maybe wrong, and if it will last till about May, or is it going bad? During daylight hours it is running fine, and appears to be like new. Also could someone tell me how old this unit is, and it's seer rating. Thanking any responders in advance.

lakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Can someone help me with this?

rheem serial #s are horrible but I suspect it is a 00 or yr 2000 unit. if it is 12-13 yrs old the bearings in the outdoor fan may be worn. unless you live in a HOT humid climate like Florida or hot climate where it runs a lot (gets worn out sooner) it should last at least 15 yrs. all depends on the amount of miles/running hours it has and whether the previous owner drove the life out of it. would be a 10 SEER unit at that age. where do you live and how expensive is electricity. reason being that a much higher SEER unit may be worthwhile. they range from 13-21 SEER now. hard to tell how long it will last but unless it keeps you awake or the neighbors complain it may last till May but I would not keep the tstat set as low. also those units the outdoor coil gets easily plugged with dirt and is hard to see or clean. need to remove the fan from the top and backwash the coil with a garden hose and sprayer. probably shortened the life of the fan and compressor if the previous owner neglected that. like overheating your car engine for yrs on end.

Last edited by yuri; 03-02-2013 at 09:19 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote