Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #1

Share |

Can a single stage thermostat used on 2 stage heat pump?

The second stage of course is the emergency heating. If I decide that the emergency heating is not useful at all (actually it wastes energy), can I use a single stage thermostat?
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
The second stage of course is the emergency heating. If I decide that the emergency heating is not useful at all (actually it wastes energy), can I use a single stage thermostat?
YES, you can use your exsisting thermostat, but you like you said you wont get your 2cd stage heat. I agree in a way that the "2cd stage" is mostly to market the HVAC unit = "ALL ABOUT THE MONEY"

Does the thermostat you have there have a 'emergency heat" option to the right of where you slide your switch over to "heat"?

If not you might want to go down to H o me dep ot or somewhere and buy a thermostat that has the option.

ALSO, I don't klnow if your a home owner OR if you do residential AC, BUT =
"COIL CLEAN" ( name of the cleaner made by ACE ) CLEAN YOUR CONDENSER COILS OUTSIDE on a heat pump! Go buy a gallon for $20, water it down 1 part acid ( we called it acis in the 80's ) to 3 parts cold water.

REMEMBER, that stuff WILL remove paint, so in open cuts = stings like heck and DO NOT GET IT IN YOUR EYES, keep kids and dogs / cats away too.

Now it's time to acid wash my OWN coils! I have lowered restaurant temps here in a 105 degree ambient heat index; simply by acid washing coils; NO refrigerant and NO adjustment to the AC units,

One of my customers would come in at 5am in the heat of summer out here, and his restaurant would be 78 ambient temp in his retaurant with his thermostat set on 65 ! it would NEVER shut down = THREE Lenox units on the roof.

After acid washing his condenser coils with a "COIL CLEAN" = a foaming cleaner and used a non-foaming "nickel safe" on the evaporator coils , he came in the next am and the space was st 68!

DO NOT USE THE CONDENSER COIL ( outside the home ) CLEANER ON YOUR EVAPORATOR COILS INSIDE THE HOUSE!

BUY THE "evaporator cleaner" for inside; = PET HAIR and cigarette smoke is the biggest enemies of evaporator coils as well as a LOT of fried food.

You WONT believe your eyes if you have never done this to your AC unit outside! The evap cleaner, you don't even have to rinse off! the water fom the humidity will do that for you.

I FEEL "air flow" is the BIGGEST problem I see out there; many residents simply dont get the "efficiency thing" when it comes to cleaning their home AC condenser coils,

HECK, the money saved in electricity PLUS the improved efficiency pays for the TIME and the COIL CLEANER 10 times over!
Stewart Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the information.

It's a thermostat that I just picked up from Walmart. I haven't opened it yet, because I may return it if it cannot be used on my heat pump.

I downloaded the manual and attached the wiring diagram. Does it look like it has "emergency heating" connection?

By the way, it's hunter 44155 thermostat.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Well. if your heat pump is a Rheem/Ruud. You can use that stat in the winter for heat without any aux heat. And let your house get colder as it gets colder outside. And then in the summer. Use a different stat for cooling.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #5

Looks like it's not a heat pump thermostat.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

The stat in the pis is a single heat/single cool stat

You need a 2 Heat / 2 Cool stat

You should have additional terminals O, B, E, Y1, Y2 If I remember correctly

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #7

Actually, the reason that I want to change to a new thermostat is because currently my heat pump is running on very short cycles. My current thermostat is white rodgers one. It runs on a span of 2.4 degree. This is the "slow cycle" of the thermostat. I kept record of time early this morning and find that it takes about 4 minutes for the hp to finish heating and then it takes another 4 minutes for it to start again. So it's about 7 cycles in one hour.

I'm really surprised at how firm many of the thermostat manufactures insist that we stick to the comfortable differential set point of +-1 degree or even +-.5 degree. It's not that easy to find one (cheap one) that allows you to run larger spans.

There are ones that cycle rate can be set. Like 3 cph or 4 cph. But I have the suspicion that even if you set it at 2cph, it won't really run at that rate because for my heat pump, it would mean very large fluctuation of temperature. Have anyone has experience with this type of thermostat? Do they really honor the stated cycle per hour or is there a maximum tolerance of temperature span (say 3 degrees) that they won't go over it no matter how low a cycles rate you set?

Last edited by deerhunter; 11-06-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Actually, the reason that I want to change to a new thermostat is because currently my heat pump is running on very short cycles. My current thermostat is white rodgers one. It runs on a span of 2.4 degree. This is the "slow cycle" of the thermostat. I kept record of time early this morning and find that it takes about 4 minutes for the hp to finish heating and then it takes another 4 minutes for it to start again. So it's about 7 cycles in one hour.

I'm really surprised at how firm many of the thermostat manufactures insist that we stick to the comfortable differential set point of +-1 degree or even +-.5 degree. It's not that easy to find one (cheap one) that allows you to run larger spans.

There are ones that cycle rate can be set. Like 3 cph or 4 cph. But I have the suspicion that even if you set it at 2cph, it won't really run at that rate because for my heat pump, it would mean very large fluctuation of temperature. Have anyone has experience with this type of thermostat? Do they really honor the stated cycle per hour or is there a maximum tolerance of temperature span (say 3 degrees) that they won't go over it no matter how low a cycles rate you set?
Hello again,

send the model number over to that White Rodgers you have! I have a website here that I can see; I would like to see the manual for it.

Usually the differential can be changed on these thermostats. I'm confident you can get more than 1 degree from diff.

I know what you mean though!

WE American's have to BE comfortable, but in WINTER, ONE degree, can be expensive! YOU CAN have a AC tech put in a "pressure control" ( used mostly in refrigeration ) where the unit can be adjusted to turn on and off from the pressures in the systems lines rather than with a "cold or temp control" or thermostat.

IF you recall the older ones had a round dial under the cover where you could go as high as 10 degree's before the unit kicked back on again.

I STILL have one in a drawer somewhere, it has a tube of mercury in it! REALLY cool playing with that stuff!
Stewart Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

That wasn't a temp adjustment you saw on that thermostat. It was the heat anticipater adjustment.

Quote:
Actually, the reason that I want to change to a new thermostat is because currently my heat pump is running on very short cycles. My current thermostat is white rodgers one. It runs on a span of 2.4 degree.
Sounds a bit like an oversized heat pump.

CPH thermostats can only maintain their cycle rate near the 50% load range of the equipment.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #10

I didn't find the model number on the thermostat. But it looks like a White rodgers 1F89-211. Actually I have downloaded the manual. But fast cycle and slow cycle are about as far as the manual addressed about cycle rate. And as I mentioned, I'm already on slow cycle.

I tried to upload the manual but the file is too large.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #11

I also think it's over sized.

I have the impression that last winter, it's not oversized, since I remember it running for prolonged period. But I had located some major leaks and sealed them, and then went all the way to unwrap the ducts and brushed mastic at almost all the seams and joints. This was not before I applied mastic on all the holes I found on the AH unit. I used to hear sound of wind from these holes on the AH. Not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
That wasn't a temp adjustment you saw on that thermostat. It was the heat anticipater adjustment.

Sounds a bit like an oversized heat pump.

CPH thermostats can only maintain their cycle rate near the 50% load range of the equipment.

Last edited by deerhunter; 11-06-2010 at 11:50 PM.