Can I Vent Furnace Through Window? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I vent furnace through window?

My furnace would shut down after 5-10 seconds and ignite again after 10-20 seconds and than shut down again,so I thought my chimney might be blocked . To check if that is the case I disconnected exhaust pipe from chimney liner and let is went in the basement for a few minutes . It was working fine so now since I have no money to get somebody to clear the chimney or change liner I would like to know if it would be mistake to just buy pipe and went furnace out of the house at the basement level instead through the chimney .It is keeprite forced air furnace but I don't know how old as it was in the house when I bought it 4 years ago .

Advertisement

praprade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

yikes

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
the Musigician

Clean your chimney.... alive is better than dead.

DM
Old 09-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by praprade View Post
My furnace would shut down after 5-10 seconds and ignite again after 10-20 seconds and than shut down again,so I thought my chimney might be blocked . To check if that is the case I disconnected exhaust pipe from chimney liner and let is went in the basement for a few minutes . It was working fine so now since I have no money to get somebody to clear the chimney or change liner I would like to know if it would be mistake to just buy pipe and went furnace out of the house at the basement level instead through the chimney .It is keeprite forced air furnace but I don't know how old as it was in the house when I bought it 4 years ago .

Is you hot water heater connected to the same liner or chimney? (gas fired) If so it will also be a major problem as to flue gas going into the house....

You need to get the liner or chimney checked ASAP.....

And NO you can't vent it out the window

Last edited by newtech; 09-19-2010 at 08:46 PM.
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #5

Probably a birds nest in the liner. With a fiends help and a little brain storming
you can figure it out.

Before you do anything check your flue pipe from the furnace to the liner. Might have a bird or small animal in it.

Also the blockage, if in the liner, could be with in reach.

shin a light up into a line and check with a mirror. You might be able to reach it.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtech View Post
Is you hot water heater connected to the same liner or chimney? (gas fired) If so it will also be a major problem as to flue gas going into the house....

You need to get the liner or chimney checked ASAP.....

And NO you can't vent it out the window
No ,gas heater exhaust on it's own through the wall .
English is not my language so maybe I wrote something wrong in my post .
If I now get it right ..the question is ... can I exhaust flue gas through the wall out of the house horizontal or for some reason has to go vertical through the chimney on the top of the house .
To make it more clear ...I helped my brother take his chimney down when he was selling his house as home inspector said it was in bad shape...meaning he didn't need chimney for his furnace because flue gas was exhausting at the side of the house at basement level.
So can you do that for any gas furnace or for some reason mine being I am guessing older type has to exhaust through the chimney at the top of the house ?

Last edited by praprade; 09-19-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 836

You cannot exhaust it into anything but a proper chimney. A high efficiency furnace with plastic vent pipes coming out of it can go thru the wall of a house. Any furnace with a metal vent needs a proper chimney. The problem may not be the chimney. Your furnace exhaust fan may be slowing down or the pressure switch faulty. Need a skilled tech with a manometer to find that out. Removing the pipe decreases the load on it and may fool it into working. Check the chimney for blockage. Remove the vent pipe at the top of the furnace and look inside for a dead bird.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Does it have an inducer motor? I suppose you *could*, but as far as code goes probably not allowed. Either way you are pulling air out of the house without replacing it. I like high efficiency furnaces for the fact they have an intake, so no need to worry about creating a vacuum. Now if they only made hot water tanks with an intake as well.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Now if they only made hot water tanks with an intake as well.
They do. I can't remember what brand, but I have installed one that used aluminum flex intake and exhaust, exactly like a fireplace.
hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 AM   #10

Quote:
yvacuum. Now if they only made hot water tanks with an intake as well.
thy are called direct fire WHs

Who love's 'ya RED?????

Last edited by hvaclover; 09-21-2010 at 03:45 AM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,630

Quote:
Does it have an inducer motor? I suppose you *could*, but as far as code goes probably not allowed. Either way you are pulling air out of the house without replacing it. I like high efficiency furnaces for the fact they have an intake, so no need to worry about creating a vacuum. Now if they only made hot water tanks with an intake as well.
The inducer of an 80% furnace is not a blower. So it requires a power venter to be added to vent it through the wall. The furnaces flue, is a negative pressure flue.

90% furnaces, the inducer is also a blower, and the flue pipe is a positive pressure flue.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:02 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,630

To the OP:

Nope. Can't vent it out the window like you want.
You can probably get your chimney cleaned for less then what a power venter will cost.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

If you can't clear the blockage TODAY I would at LEAST buy a couple carbon monoxide detectors and the batteries to run them. I agree with other poster that alive is much better than dead. You are talking about a "jury-rig", to use the slang phrase. Even if you get the pipe out the window, you may create condensation problems or worse yet potentially fatal backdrafting into the house. Stick a bright light into the bottom of your chimney, and a mirror. What do you see?
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,048

If you open the basement window and reconnect the furnace to the old chimney, does the furnace work okay?

The furnace needs makeup air aka combustion air, cubic foot for cubic foot matching the exhaust air out the chimney. If you improved the doors and windows and insulation in your house, the furnace may no longer be getting enough through the usual cracks and imperfections in the exterior door frames and window frames.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-22-2010 at 07:49 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
If you open the basement window and reconnect the furnace to the old chimney, does the furnace work okay?

The furnace needs makeup air aka combustion air, cubic foot for cubic foot matching the exhaust air out the chimney. If you improved the doors and windows and insulation in your house, the furnace may no longer be getting enough through the usual cracks and imperfections in the exterior door frames and window frames.
No ,I had window open, didn't work.
Anyways I removed front panel and found sticker on inside wall with "Horizontal went installation instruction" . Would that be instruction for flue went (meaning I can get it out of the window) or there is something else on furnace that this applies to ?

Advertisement