DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can I run a dryer vent along a basement foundation wall?

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  benze 
#1 ·
Hi,

I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where winters are quite cold and severe. Temperatures here can be as low as -30F in winter.

I am installing a new dryer vent in my basement and in order to save as much space as possible, I'd like to run the vertical part of my vent in between my 2x4 studs directly against the foundation wall (a run of about 8'). The walls will be insulated with fiberglass (pink) and covered with a vapor barrier and drywall.

My concern is condensation. Is condensation around the exhaust pipe a worry? Do I have to ensure that my pipe runs on the inside of the insulated walls? Or do I need to use an insulated pipe? (ie: can I take a 4" pipe and insert it into a 5" pipe and line the space in between with fiberglass?)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Eric

#2 ·
Dryer vent

Eric,
The plan you suggested should be very safe. Make sure that you put a flapper type vent cover outside. Think about it the moisture would be from the outside as the lint from the dryer would be moisture free> Very good and safe to ask that question. If it is a very long run consider putting a 4" about $20 in US booster fan as far away from your dyer that is still exposed to clean every month or so. Just wire it to one hotside of you start contactor and the other to the neutral that way it only comes on when dryer is in use.

Hope I could be of help,
Doug

#3 ·
Pipe will need to be on the house/basement side of the insulation. Or insulated itself.

8' may not sound like alot. But at lower dryer temps, it will sweat/condensate inside, and cause lots of problems.

#4 ·
8' may not sound like alot. But at lower dryer temps, it will sweat/condensate inside, and cause lots of problems.
Given that the whole purpose of the dryer is to expel humid air from the clothes, does the dryer temp really make a difference? Won't the air always be humid, and hence, prone to condensation when the hot humid air hits the cold galvanzied pipe?

I assume the pipe would be cold if placed against the foundation wall....

Tx,

Eric

#5 ·
When the drier first runs. The air doesn't absorb much moisture. But the air is warm as it travels through the pipe. And pre warms it, before the cloths start to give up moisture.

On an uninsulated vertical run against an outside wall. It may not be able to warm it enough. Then you'll have lots of moisture condensing. And running down the pipe, and clogging the pipe with wet lint. That will be very hard to remove..

Reactions: benze
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.