Can I Run A Dryer Vent Along A Basement Foundation Wall? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I run a dryer vent along a basement foundation wall?

Hi,

I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where winters are quite cold and severe. Temperatures here can be as low as -30F in winter.

I am installing a new dryer vent in my basement and in order to save as much space as possible, I'd like to run the vertical part of my vent in between my 2x4 studs directly against the foundation wall (a run of about 8'). The walls will be insulated with fiberglass (pink) and covered with a vapor barrier and drywall.

My concern is condensation. Is condensation around the exhaust pipe a worry? Do I have to ensure that my pipe runs on the inside of the insulated walls? Or do I need to use an insulated pipe? (ie: can I take a 4" pipe and insert it into a 5" pipe and line the space in between with fiberglass?)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Eric

Advertisement

benze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #2

Eric,
The plan you suggested should be very safe. Make sure that you put a flapper type vent cover outside. Think about it the moisture would be from the outside as the lint from the dryer would be moisture free> Very good and safe to ask that question. If it is a very long run consider putting a 4" about $20 in US booster fan as far away from your dyer that is still exposed to clean every month or so. Just wire it to one hotside of you start contactor and the other to the neutral that way it only comes on when dryer is in use.

Hope I could be of help,
Doug

Advertisement

lamon2524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

Pipe will need to be on the house/basement side of the insulation. Or insulated itself.

8' may not sound like alot. But at lower dryer temps, it will sweat/condensate inside, and cause lots of problems.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
8' may not sound like alot. But at lower dryer temps, it will sweat/condensate inside, and cause lots of problems.
Given that the whole purpose of the dryer is to expel humid air from the clothes, does the dryer temp really make a difference? Won't the air always be humid, and hence, prone to condensation when the hot humid air hits the cold galvanzied pipe?

I assume the pipe would be cold if placed against the foundation wall....

Tx,

Eric
Old 09-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

When the drier first runs. The air doesn't absorb much moisture. But the air is warm as it travels through the pipe. And pre warms it, before the cloths start to give up moisture.

On an uninsulated vertical run against an outside wall. It may not be able to warm it enough. Then you'll have lots of moisture condensing. And running down the pipe, and clogging the pipe with wet lint. That will be very hard to remove..
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
benze (09-07-2010)
Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #6

Thanks to all who have chipped in and convinced me that my half-baked idea isn't even worth considering, and saving me a fortune in costs down the road.

Eric

Advertisement

Tags
condensation , dryer vent , foundation