Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Share |

Can I reroute furnace duct

I want cut open a section of the wall to create an opening from the kitchen to dinning room. However there is a furnace duct in that region going straight up to supply heat to a bedroom on the 2nd floor (See attached image). I'm wondering if it's ok to reroute that pipe in a "C" shape so that it won't interfere with my desired wall opening?

Is this allowed? will this affect the room where this duct supplies heat to?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Can I reroute furnace duct-duct-rerout.jpg  

jsunsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

It will slow down the air and if the airflow is low now it may get very poor. Each elbow adds about 5 feet of equivalent pipe length for resistance plus another 6-8 feet horz adds up. You would also have to cut those 2x4 s out. It is possible but you may create a problem. Turn the heat on and blow some cigarette smoke near the vent now and see how strong the airflow is. If you feel it is OK then fine if not then you may want to reconsider.

jsunsun (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

If the pipe could psychically be ran like that, it wouldn't have enough air flow.

But the headers you would need to make for the cut outs for the duct, would be in the way of the duct.

Any reason you can't relocate the entire duct 3 spaces left or right.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
It will slow down the air and if the airflow is low now it may get very poor. Each elbow adds about 5 feet of equivalent pipe length for resistance plus another 6-8 feet horz adds up. You would also have to cut those 2x4 s out. It is possible but you may create a problem. Turn the heat on and blow some cigarette smoke near the vent now and see how strong the airflow is. If you feel it is OK then fine if not then you may want to reconsider.
Thanks for the reply!

What if create a double duct (see edited image) at the rerouting region. Could this improve the airflow? If yes, would it be enough to restore the original airflow?

Cutting the 2x6s shouldn't be a problem, as this wall has been assessed by a structure engineer and deemed non-load bearing.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I reroute furnace duct-double-duct.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
If the pipe could psychically be ran like that, it wouldn't have enough air flow.

But the headers you would need to make for the cut outs for the duct, would be in the way of the duct.

Any reason you can't relocate the entire duct 3 spaces left or right.
Yeah I guess I could do that. Though I was hoping not needing to cut open parts of the ceiling and floor to make this rerouting. But perhaps I may need to resort to this.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunsun View Post
Yeah I guess I could do that. Though I was hoping not needing to cut open parts of the ceiling and floor to make this rerouting. But perhaps I may need to resort to this.
It would be a lot easier then doing all the 2X6 cutting and headering.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunsun View Post
Thanks for the reply!

What if create a double duct (see edited image) at the rerouting region. Could this improve the airflow? If yes, would it be enough to restore the original airflow?

Cutting the 2x6s shouldn't be a problem, as this wall has been assessed by a structure engineer and deemed non-load bearing.
Would not be feasible or work.

gregzoll (06-02-2014)