Can I Replace The Condenser Unit With A Different Brand? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I replace the condenser unit with a different brand?

I have a bryant 2.5 ton unit with matching air handler / furnace that blows into slab vents.

The condenser has failed per the AC repairman.

My question is, can I swapout the Bryant condenser unit (the entire outdoor box; fan, coils, etc), with another brand (York/Trane/etc) of the same specification (2.5 ton / R-22), while still using the existing funace/air handler built by Bryant.

Sorry, I am a newbie at this, and dont know all the science. I am just in a bind, and really cant afford a brand new system.

Regards,
Jim
jimbovia@gmail.com

Advertisement

jimbovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 864

You can but it also depends on how old the system is. The older systems don't work too well with the newer higher SEER condensors. R22 units are in very short supply and are not longer sold in Canada and are being phased out by the R410.

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
You can but it also depends on how old the system is. The older systems don't work too well with the newer higher SEER condensors. R22 units are in very short supply and are not longer sold in Canada and are being phased out by the R410.
Hold on a minute there.

Depending where this is makes a huge difference. In Florida, if you play mix and match, you have to have an engineer certify the efficiency rating is equal to or greater than a manufacturers designated parts would be.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

I NEVER recommend mix and match. Unfortunately people can order units over the net and "plug and play" themselves. Verboten where I am.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
I NEVER recommend mix and match. Unfortunately people can order units over the net and "plug and play" themselves. Verboten where I am.
You do sound like you do know your stuff yuri (regardless of all the flack I have given you in the past). While your answer is obviously correct, I just wanted the OP (and anybody else that reads this) that while mix and match can be done and successfully if you know what you are doing, it is actually almost impossible to do it legally in some areas.

In situations such as in Florida, it would be cheaper and obviously easier to just replace everything as a matched system. By the time you get somebody to certify they thing (if it actually is certifiable) you would be better off just replacing all of the parts involved.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

I just wish that all the States and Provinces in Canada could get their "act together" and follow the same basic set of rules for gas codes/equipment install and servicing and use of refrigerants/freon. Very few techs and DIYers have any idea how complex it is to mix and match units and get efficiency out of them. Add to it some undersized ductwork and you have a heck of a mess. I deal with those everyday.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,704

You will probably be much better off seeing if you can get a Bryant/Carrier outdoor unit that will match to your current indoor unit.

Also, good chance that you can get a third party AHRI rated indoor coil that will be a match to the outdoor unit you get.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote