Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Can I put 5 zone valves On ONE Stat?

I have a cold start boiler that has 5 zone valves and 5 thermostats. It has a panel control. Can I abandon 4 of the stats and connect all 5 wires to one stat in the control box? My goal is to put in one programmable thermostat that will run the entire building. I called a supplier and he said that I can't do it but he couldn't explain why. Any suggestions?
Thank you very much!

h82diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Why not manually open all zone valves, then connect thermostat to boiler. When thermostat calls for heat, it would turn on the boiler and circulator. Not sure if you would have enough voltage to open all the zone valves at once if you tied all thermostats together. Why not by 4 more programmable thermostats, each zone does not heat and cool at the same rate, so tieing them together would not work that great anyway

bravacv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

i would as suggested go into the valves and manually lock them into the open position then control the boiler relay on a call for heat.pulling all the valve thru a W call might cause problems and then if a valve fails to open your in their anyway.if you have a slide bar to manually swing it lock it up....stat location interior wall in a open area with typical exposure atrium area
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,188

yes open manually and lock open wire stat to boiler system works as a single zone flowing to all open valves......
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,784

All 5 vales being controlled through one thermostat would over load the thermostat and burn it out. The thermostat is only rated to handle roughly 1.2 amps through the W terminal. Many zone valves use .8 to 1.0 amps. So 5 zones valves would be 4 amps or more.

While manually opening the valves will save you money on thermostats. It may also cost you more for heating, since you probably don't need all 5 zones to be up to the same temp at the same time.

I would slave 3 or 4 or the zones. This would involve wiring pass the zone panel for the slave zones. and would make it so they only get heat if the master zone/zones were calling for heat. And its not hard to do.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #6

When you say "slave 3 or 4 of the zones" do you mean keeping two active thermostats that each run either 2 or 3 zones? If there are 5 stats one could run itself and another. And the other stat could run itself and 2 more. I could have one active on the ground floor and one on the third floor.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #7

If you have multiple floors, I would have a separate thermostat for each floor, if there are multiple zones on each floor I would twin them together. I see you have five zones, is this a five story building? Are people living in each floor? Trying to please a bunch of people with one thermostat is impossible, you will always have someone that is too cold and someone that is too hot at the same temperature.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #8

it is 3 floors. Two apartments on the first and second floors and one apt on the third floor. I have another building with the same set up and I have one thermostat on the ground floor I set it at 70 and haven't had a complaint in 10 years of cold winters... that place is forced hot air.
This new place I just got is a boiler with 5 zone valves. The gas co told me that the previous owner's gas bill for Jan and Feb of last winter was $3000!!! this is because the tenants each controlled their own thermostats and they set it at 80 then opened the windows to cool the place off. I put stat guards on and they're constantly complaining for me to turn the heat up and I'm sick of it. PA state law says the stats have to be set at a min of 60F at night and 65F during the day. I keep it at 68F 24 hours a day. I don't know how they can stand it that hot.. .I keep mine at 63 and wear a sweater. They walk around in shorts and tank tops. VENTING!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

OK, first of all 68 degrees F is not hot-- unless you're wearing a sweater. Second, I'm an expert in neither HVAC nor psychology, but how do you think the calls for more heat are going to stop just because you've tied all the systems together? It'll probably get WORSE because now everyone will get heat based on one area: which could be the old lady who is keeping her place at 80 with a space heater while everyone else freezes. You should stick with what you have now until you can have your centralized system in place.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Master/Slaving.
Each thermostat controls its current zone valve. But only one or 2 of the thermostats can turn on the boiler and circulator. By having 2 thermostats that can turn on the boiler and circulator, you don't end up with any zone over heating, and very little chance of any zone being colder then you want it. And it eliminates short cycling of the boiler.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

I did just recall from when I was fixing my circulator relay problem that some of the Honeywell relays are able to control two loads-- but that's two circulators, not two valves. And it's only two, not five.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

The zone panel is bypassed for the slave valves/zones.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #13

Trying to please 5 families with one thermostat, good luck. You could lower gas consumption with an outdoor reset. Make sure house is well insulated, the money you spend on the insulation would only go to gas costs if you don't insulate. If I owned the house, and I own four (well me and the bank) I would start with 3 thermostats, one on each floor, and outdoor reset.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #14

I asked my plumber about the outdoor reset and he said that because my boiler is a cold start, it wouldn't make a difference. I have another 5 unit rental with one thermostat and I keep it at 68F all winter and no one complains.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Your plumber is wrong. It still saves money on cold start boilers. Specially as it gets colder outside when the boiler would normally run more.