DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

can I 'patch in' a bathroom vent into my kitchen's stove hood vent?

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  joeyboy 
#1 ·
My bathroom doesn't have a vent, and I hadn't considered putting one in as I don't feel comfortable putting things through my roof (zero roof knowledge yet lol).

However, the kitchen's stove vent is already in place and running, and the big tube that brings that air out of my house is literally like 2 or 3 feet away from where the bathroom vent would be.

I know i could install the vent itself/wire it, I just don't feel comfortable putting a vent through my roof. I just got to thinking that perhaps I can patch the bathroom's vent's exhaust tubing into that thick kitchen tubing, and not have to go through my roof.

I know I could make it happen, I'm just wondering if there's issues I'm not seeing.

#2 ·
The drawback I can see is your kitchen exhaust rather than going out of the house, going into the bathroom instead... although I know there is shut-off valve... but I think there is leak always... don't know if you want the bathroom oder goes to your kitchen/food/dishes...etc.....

therefore... I wouldn't want to do that....

unfortunately... short cut generally not a good idea in home renovating...

#3 ·
those came across my mind, but I figured there's gotta be a way around it (gaskets that open only when on or something? Like you wouldn't smell a dump in the kitchen because the kitchen's vent isn't 'open' unless the unit's on and blowing outside).

I'm of the same mindset, when something feels like a shortcut, I always feel it's not the right way. But this is a situation where if I don't put a bathroom fan in this way, I won't be putting one in at all (until I feel comfortable enough to redo my roof, but that's not gonna be for many, many months, if not over a year). So if there is a way to do it that isn't a bad way, just an unusual way (but a way that won't cause any problems - a method that's just weird, maybe inefficient, harder to setup, but won't cause any problems), I'm all for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.