Can I Mount A Window A/C Into The Wall, Exhausting To The Attic? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I mount a window A/C into the wall, exhausting to the attic?

My room gets hotter than any other room in the house. I can't mount the air conditioner in the window because my room is in the front of the house (neighborhood rules). On the other side of my room is the attic above the garage. I wanted to mount a window A/C unit into the wall and have the back half hang in the attic.

The attic is pretty small (about 15x15) and has no attic fan. It has soffit and ridge vents. I realize I would probably need to install an attic fan and obviously have to run a drainage line for the water. My two concerns though:

1. Would this exhaust into the attic have moisture in it and be bad for the attic itself?

2: Having the back half of the A/C's coils exposed to the attic's 100+ degree air make the unit not work well? I live in New Jersey and it gets up to the high 90's in the summer.

Please let me know what I can do and I am very open to ideas. Thanks

Advertisement

Greg2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,560

Won't work real well. Could lose more then half of the A/Cs capacity.

Need to make a safety pan that would catch any water that may run out of the unit. So it doesn't damage the attic(2X4s, drywall, insulation, etc).

The attic may be 100 normally. But with the A/C running, it will get 20 plus degrees hotter. Making it harder for the A/C to cool your room.

Although more expensive. A mini split heat pump would work better. I'm guessing your room is also cooler in the winter.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 85

Have you looked at this kind of A/C units?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Instead of venting it through a window run it over to an eve vent in the garage instead.
mikethe ductman is offline   Reply With Quote