Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Can I do this control work myself?

I am an electrician but I have not done much control work. I am in charge of either fixing or finding someone to fix the controls on the boiler for our condo. Some pics are attached below.

The controls no longer work, you can't change the settings and the timer doesn't work correctly. This system uses the outside temperature to control the heat.

Basically, we want a new control system that works correctly and will allow us to ramp down the heat at night. I called in the maker of the system we currently have (Heat Timer) to see if they could get it working or replace it, but the estimate for a new system was over $4K, that seems like too much for our small boiler system.

So my question is this: Is this something that an electrician who is willing to learn can do with minimal trouble? Or should I just call in a pro? If the answer is the latter, who should I call? Most electrical contractors don't specialize in this.

Thanks for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I do this control work myself?-img_0454.jpg   Can I do this control work myself?-img_0456.jpg   Can I do this control work myself?-img_0459.jpg  

Lockeset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

where you are located is extremely important and any licensing your state requires for either electrician, low voltage electrician, or havc tech is critical.

as an electrician myself, it it not beyond me but I have no idea how you and I would compare on knowledge, technical skills, and logic.

and you are correct; an electrical contractor would not be who to call. You would call a company that deals with hydronic heating systems; aka HVAC contractor with knowledge of boiler systems.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
Retired Electrician

were are you located
fy171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #4

Sorry guys, I am in NJ. I am a union electrician but I have a state electrical contractor's license. I don't use it very often, one day I might go out on my own but for now I am happy where I'm at.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #5

the 2 B&G red circulators are your zones so the boiler is basically a stand alone and using outdoor air reset..might consider PETRO in your area they have a good rep overall and their techs could do that service with their eyes closed....seems to be in good visual shape..wiring looks tight(not butchered up) all you need is a good control check out to get it going..those boilers each have a TC-1 limit control as installed to run the boilers without outside air resets..might want to isolate that to get them running. 160F-180F range is good
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
the 2 B&G red circulators are your zones so the boiler is basically a stand alone and using outdoor air reset..might consider PETRO in your area they have a good rep overall and their techs could do that service with their eyes closed....seems to be in good visual shape..wiring looks tight(not butchered up) all you need is a good control check out to get it going..those boilers each have a TC-1 limit control as installed to run the boilers without outside air resets..might want to isolate that to get them running. 160F-180F range is good
Thank you very much for your post. I see Petro around here, with your recommendation, I will certainly give them a call.

Quote:
those boilers each have a TC-1 limit control as installed to run the boilers without outside air resets..might want to isolate that to get them running. 160F-180F range is good
I'm not following this, can you please clarify for a layman? I'm interested in learning whatever I can about the system.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,332

GOOD boilers too. Weils are very good. Make sure you keep lots of oil in the bearing brackets of those pumps and once a yr give the motors a shot too.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,702

And they are as small as you may think.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #9

I called Petro and was told that they don't do this type of work
Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,702

You need a commercial company. One that does controls like this on a regular basis.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
You need a commercial company. One that does controls like this on a regular basis.
Thanks, I'll keep my eye out.

If anyone knows of a good company in NJ, please let me know.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #12

TC-1 is the temp control as shipped for a water temp for the baseboard the heat timer outdorr reset takes those 2 wires and controls it from the outside ranges set...www.petro.com is the biggest commercial gas service company on the East Coast so that Jersey office is missing something to refuse this work...try contacting them thru the site...only thing is they might only do servcie contracts??? wierd with this economy..a lead service guy could knock that problem off within 8 hours even at T&M
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
TC-1 is the temp control as shipped for a water temp for the baseboard the heat timer outdorr reset takes those 2 wires and controls it from the outside ranges set...www.petro.com is the biggest commercial gas service company on the East Coast so that Jersey office is missing something to refuse this work...try contacting them thru the site...only thing is they might only do servcie contracts??? wierd with this economy..a lead service guy could knock that problem off within 8 hours even at T&M
I'll try contacting them again.

8 hours? Wow, it's a bigger job than I thought